Giant XTC and a few others...

EarlofBarnet

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Well, I've been studying over the last couple of months and finally sat the exam on Monday. So what to do with my now free time...projects!

So I picked up a Kona Lava dome from Daren on the forum. I had a free evening on Thursday so it went from this:

to something a little better fitting for its age....

Still waiting on a suitable front and rear mech and a new chain, but looking forward to getting it finished and taking it out :)

Had some parts left over from the Kona's spec as it arrived to me, so...

Picked up a Giant XTC frame from ebay and voila:

Just need a gear cable kit for it and it should be sorted too.

Re: Something to tinker with over the Christmas period...

This will actually be my third XTC with the same colour scheme. They're superb xc frames and I'd recommend them to everyone.

My first one:

More recent one (which I took up Alpe D'Huez):

I also briefly had an older XTC a few years ago:

Re:

Like the lava dome. Shame they never really come up in 20"

Teocali abandoned?

Xtc would be just about the cheapest decent frame you could get. Budget build you'd get that low 20lb with rigid forks.

Re:

Meant that for money xtc is just about one of best value weight weenie frame choices

Re: Something to tinker with over the Christmas period...

Think it was around 1600g's, so pretty good :)

I did have try some rigid forks on one of my earlier XTC's now you mention it:

Re: 2009 Giant XTC and a 1998 Kona Lava Dome

Both bikes now up and running :)

Lava Dome:
Fitted new brake pads front and rear and a full set of Jagwire inner and outer brake and gear cables. Managed to get a 28.6mm STX-RC front mech too.

Giant XTC:
Stumped up for a Black Deore Hollowtech II chainset to get a full range of gears on the bike. The tyres are a 2.2" and a little wide a profile for the frame (although still give a bit of clearance) so with some CRC gift vouchers I got for Christmas I bought some 2.1! Maxxis Ignitors, which I found great on the last bike. Also ended up buying Race Face Ride bars, stem and seatpost...

Got a more period correct LX rear mech on the Lava Dome now.

Unfortunately the LX front shifter have up the ghost and won't shift in to the big ring. So had to ditch that for a more modern XT unit. Bit of a shame.

The RaceFace Ride stem, bars and seatpost landed from CRC for the Giant too. A bit disappointed with the weight of the bars and seatpost. Both are approx 350g. So may send them back and pick up some lighter weight items.

Well it's been a few weeks so thought I'd update. I've just picked up a 2009 Specialized FSR XC. I've owned an FSR XC before and it was a great bike. The one I have bought has had the groupset upgraded to SLX and the wheels changed to some Shimano MH15's. The SLX parts may work their way on the XTC, but we'll see.

I've had the Lava Dome out for it's first ride out. Honestly couldn't fault it. Did a local loop at just over 11 miles, with a mix of fire roads and singletrack. It was great, really enjoyed it. I can certainly see it staying for a while.

The FSR:

As mentioned previously, it's had the brakes and groupset upgraded to SLX items. I've completely stripped the bike and fitted a new chain and cables to it. The rear shock was apparently serviced by the previous owner (at a cost of £220!), so that should hopefully be good for a while. The wheels aren't XT items per the decals, but MH15's. Still nice wheels, but not quite as posh as they make out. The front end of the bike seems a bit high for me, so may swap the stem out to a 0 degree rise and fit some flat bars too.

Re: 2009 Giant XTC & 1998 Kona Lava Dome (and now an FSR...)

Well, the FSR should be making it's way to a new home tomorrow. Three mountain bikes (and a road bike) was a bit excessive. Especially given the lack of space I have. Bit of a shame as the FSR's are great all-rounders. The XTC and Lava Dome aren't too shabby and they'll do me.

Back