1998 Saracen Kili Team

drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
1998 Saracen Kili Team

Picked this up a few weeks ago as a complete bike on eBay. Looking at the listing I could tell that it was a real mix of parts thrown onto what I hoped would be a nice frame.
I picked it up a few miles from home and brought it back to my workshop.

Kili-Team-01.jpg

As expected most of the parts were worn out and/or unsuitable for the time period of the frame. The wheels were mismatched, tyres worn out and the low end RST forks seized almost solid.
Not to worry though, I bought it for the frame.

So I stripped it down, removed the over abundance of non Saracen stickers and generally cleaned it up a bit. Out of curiosity I thought I'd compare it to my 1997 Kili Comp frame.
The green 98 Kili Team is built from 7501 series Tange Prestige Concept cro-moly and weighs in at 2170 grams. The 97 Kili Comp is built from Reynolds 853 and comes in at pretty much spot on 2000 grams. Notable differences are the cable stops and the point at which the rear wishbone meets the seat-tube. It's about an inch lower on the newer frame.

Kili-Team-02.jpg

Kili-Team-03.jpg

Kili-Team-04.jpg

Both frames have the lovely wishbone rear end. Having ridden and raced on the 853 frame I can report on how lively and compliant the rear triangle is. Fantastic for soaking up small bumps and vibrations.

With the RST forks only really fit for the bin, I had to find some forks.
I was toying with the idea of fitting some 1998 Bomber Z2 forks until I was offered something far more suitable.
Thanks to forum member 'konatime' I am now in possession of two sets of original Saracen segmented forks, one of which is the exact colour match for the Kili Team frame.

Kili-Team-05.jpg

The blue fork on the left weighs in at 1060 grams while the slightly narrower green fork is about 960 grams in weight.

So this afternoon I built up the Kili Team using STX-RC components from 1998. Red DX pedals and the red Club Roost riser bar keeps with the late nineties components, style and aesthetics.
I've always been a fan of STX-RC for it's bombproof reliability and dependable performance. Overall I'm really pleased with how it's looking too.

Kili-Team-06.jpg

Kili-Team-07.jpg

Kili-Team-08.jpg

Kili-Team-09.jpg

Kili-Team-10.jpg

Kili-Team-11.jpg

Kili-Team-12.jpg

I will also be building up some wheels using STX-RC hubs and Mavic 221 rims. The seatpost and stem will also be replaced in due course. The current stem is a about 10 - 20mm too long, and I think I'd prefer a silver post.

Really looking forward to test riding it soon too.

Re:

There's some good info there, nice to reunite the frame with the correct fork as well. You might be interested there is a large kili on ebay at the mo:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-vintage ... 2a47a7426a

Perhaps you could use the fork for your frame?

Cheers
Matt

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Nice one Paul! :cool:

Looks so much better with the rigid forks on.

Oh, for a workshop like yours! :LOL: Mine is the back garden, or the garage if it's raining :roll:

Mike

Really cool. Great review of these in the archive section that's well worth digging out.

Re:

Thanks Adrian.
I have a scan of the review of the 97 Kili Comp. Is there one of the 98 bike that you know of?

Here is the page and the full spec from the 98 catalogue:

Kili-Team-98-cat.jpg

Kili-Team-98-spec.jpg

The only anomaly with my bike is of course the colour. Not uncommon though with Saracens. The catalogue photos and the actual bikes were often slightly different.
I have checked my scans of the 1999 and 2000 catalogues just to be sure, but the decals match the 1998 model year so I'm confident I've got it correctly identified.

superstu":2gjt9sb6 said:
Absolutely brilliant. Love it. Also echo your opinion of stx rc criminally underrated in my opinion

Just watch out for the cranks. Seen half of one go through a mates calf and it wasn't pretty! :shock:

Back