SV03 my GT Zaskar Single Speed project

paulr1980

Devout Dirtbag

Here's how it looked..

So I've nearly finished my third build for my pretty much non profit sideline Strada Veloce and thought I'd see what you ugly lot think. ;)

The bike is a 1999 GT Zaskar that was originally a royal blue. The paint wasn't bad but it was hardly exotic looking and a Zaskar is such an awesome bike it really deserves a good paint job.

I asked the painter to paint the bike Rays Engineering gold and he nailed it. It basically a shadow chrome as you'd see on alloy wheels but with a gold top coat. The rest of the build is designed around the idea of a PH'ers engine bay, so loads of red and blue ano to ape Aeroquip hose fittings.

Here's the rest of the spec..

18" GT Zaskar frame (verified as a Zaskar and not an Avalanche etc)
On One carbon fibre rigid forks
Chris King Nothreadset
Hope headset spacers
Thomson Elite 90mm 5deg rise stem
Thomson Elite seat post
San Marco titanium saddle
Mavic Crossland wheelset
Hope skewers
Michelin 1.4 slick tyres
Michelin tubes
M770 Shimano XT V brakes
M770 Shimano XT bottom bracket
M670 Shimano SLX cranks
Hope retainer chainring
Ano red chainring bolts
Surly 18T rear sprocket
Velosolo Patriot cassette spacer kit (ano red, silver, blue)
Token ano blue lock ring
Avid speed dial 7 brake levers
Black lock on grips
Ritchey WCS carbon fibre riser bars

So for an urban single speed bike it's a great bike. After Christmas I might make a duplicate and keep it!

Genuinely interested to know your thoughts, good or bad...

[footnote]Edited by Tiger Tim on Tuesday 2nd December 23:31[/footnote]

Re: 01/99 GT Zaskar builld

Nice always liked the Zaskar's had a few in the past.

As for the new paint job I've got a nissan 350zed with the bronze Brembos.
Is the color similar to these.
C8808C16-8E82-4177-AB86-A9F6051204D0-10164-000015743E92D44A_zpse1f5af47.jpg

I've put the new pics up. As you'll be able to see its much more muted than that. I'm really happy with how it came out.

Definitely let me know what you think though. I don't mind if it's loved or hated. All feedback happily received.

Re:

Here's a terrible photo from just before I wheeled it into town to my LBC to fit the headset and face the bottom bracket. I really should get a press..

I'll get proper photos in the next day or so.

Re:

I noticed that as well looking at the photo. It is only a dry build at the moment so has to be disassembled and properly greased and thread locked etc.

Good spot though :)

Re:

Cranks now ready to go on. M670 arms with red ano "weaponized" chainring bolts and a 36T chainring (thanks go to dnbmatt28 from here) for that.

Quick strip down and rebuild properly and set the chain line and its all done.

I guess I had better work out what it's all cost at some point. I don't mind not really making anything as I enjoy it so much but I don't want to lose anything. :)

Latest posts

Back