Wagon Wheels Genesis More tweaks.

gbmoto

Retro Guru
Just a bit of a teaser but now the whole fleet has become 29er.

Still a way to go but v pleased so far.

Re: More Wagon Wheels

That's a bit far to go about a bike excitement wise.

On the subject of wagon wheels, a pound for six at the co-op!

Re: More Wagon Wheels

The History Man":1zx455lo said:
That's a bit far to go about a bike excitement wise.

On the subject of wagon wheels, a pound for six at the co-op!

You're going to get banned!

BTW, same price at Asda :LOL:

Re:

Ta for the comments, I was just so pleased with how it looked I had to share it :D

I have decided to standardize on 29er's (apart from the old Rockhopper)

Prior to 29's I had a Ragley Blue Pig, and loved it, although it was a bit of a drag on the road bits that a ride around here inevitably includes, but I did miss it for North Downs sillyness.

I have a strict one in one out and I had a Giant Hybrid that does very little, set up with lights guards and rack, it was superb on a Dutch Holiday but otherwise mostly sat gathering dust, so that was going to give up it's wheels and groupset.

I have never had this amount of bike swopping in such a short time.

This frame turned up at a very silly price brand new so the build was on.

The forks are from the Orange which is now full rigid (and therefore takes on some of the road use from the Giant), stripped them down and removed the travel stop so they are now a full 120mm, in answer to one of the comments, yes it would make a nice fully rigid but my other 2 29ers are already so no point.

Took the frame to Halfords and got a close match to the paint, then some ebay stickers, lots of clear coat, quiet pleased, and doesn't seem to have knocked the geometry too much, I was a bit sniffy about this fork and only got it as a stopgap as it was cheap, but actually quiet liking it.

Agonized over the headset, wanted an integral lower race but there would have been about 1mm clearance between the adjusters on the forks and the down tube, so conventional lower race, happy I did as I can now put in a tapered fork if I ever swop. Also the front end is still relatively low.

Wheels are deore hubs with rigida rims and gorilla tape tubeless, tyres from Specialized as they work well and a dealer is 5 mins down the road, went very knobbly as this bike won't spend much time on the road.

Initially it will be 1x9 with one of those clever thick thin sprockets but hoping to go 1x10 and some stage with one of those Hope dinner plate cassette sprockets.

Hope mono mini's, although they are never easy to get right and the sliding dropouts may be a step too far!

Bars and stem are from the Ragley, just to get an idea of position, aesthetically may have to be changed eventually tho' the green doesn't really go.

Hopefully will be completed this weekend.

Re:

All finished and very pleased.

Been out on the road but biblical rain over night and now so probably no off road chistening today :cry:

Frame: Genesis High Latitude

Fork: Rockshox Recon tweaked to 120mm travel

Headset: Nukeproof
Stem: Ragley
Handlebar:Ragley
Grips: SixPack

Brakes: Hope Mono Mini
Brake Pads: EBC

Shifters: Shimano Saint
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT
Derailleur Cables: Shimano XT
Cassette: Shimano Deore
Chain: Shimano Deore
Cranks: Shimano Deore
Chainrings: Superstar thick thin
Chainring bolts: Weaponized
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Deore
Pedals: DMR V12

Hub Skewers: soon to be DT Swiss
Rims: Rigida
Hubs: Shimano
Tyres: Specialized Butcher 2.3
Tubes: Gorilla Tape

Saddle: Charge Spoon
Seatpost: Brand X
Seatpost Binder: Gusset

Very pleased to have got a load of this stuff out of the spares box, feels very like my old Ragley but smoother.

I need to redo the front tyre as my Gorilla tape tubeless conversion is not holding and have ordered a DT Swiss rear QR as the axle is moving under braking, hopefully that will tighten just enough.

Upgrades?? Probably 10 x 1 at some stage, I have a mech, just need to collect the other bits, wasn't really interested until the Hope t-rex ( and others ) were released so I can have a 42 on the back.

Want to rebuild one of my 26 wheelsets with 29er rims as the current ones are a bit optimistic strength wise.

Aesthetically I should change the Ragley bits but will keep them until I have the riding position right, although it already feels good, will cut down the steerer then too.

Re:

How are you finding 1x9? That's what I'm on with - yet to be finished!

Very nice - colour matched forks look factory fresh.

Re:

That looks fantastic, well done!

What tubing is the frame made of? Nice frame design behind bb shell too :cool: Smart

Mike

Back