The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Before I start a little history. I've been reading and talking to many on here about 26 v 29. Not being an early adopter I've waited to see how it went for those who took the plunge, bought or built bigger bikes, made reports and comparisons. Until 18 months ago hadn't even ridden a bike with V brakes so thats new tech to me. Over the last month or so I have trawled eBay looking at component prices with a view to putting together a 29er on the cheap.

Well basically it's hard to find anything that would be decent and. Having no experience of modern brakes etc, decided to go 'full bike'. Again, anything decent and steel (no more cracked ally for me) was either a risk as well used and expensive for full bike or required a degree of risk. Not wanting the 29" experience to be marred by a worn setup I decided new steel was the way to go.

This morning I toddled off to Evans' local Acne Emporium of F*ckwittery to pick this up. A 21" charge cooker 3. I had paid online so had arranged for the bike to be built for 11am. This had been confirmed by the store supervisor Zak. I announced my arrival, asking for the aforementioned cherub and waited. The bike was still boxed, untouched for four days. Anyway, the long and the short of it is that I left the store after an hour and a half with a very cheap heavily discounted fully built bicycle as the store manager had sensed my displeasure once I asked to speak to him out of earshot of his customers as I didn't want him to be seen in distress.

Here it is. The paint is metallic and really nicely done. Apologies for the bottle cage. Wasn't going to buy anything else from the crèche.
3f81aeabbea375867edc19b98fb91b0a_zps296cb399.jpg

8536a7b76cd73048a82a8f3d0dd6158f_zpsf16478ca.jpg

The ride is in my view the best of both worlds. Flex and absorption of steel with the stability and security of the modern larger wheels. Climbing was smoother. This is aided by a front lockout I could just reach for as needed. Very novel. I rode some of the nastier downhills I'm familiar with to make a comparison with the explosif. Far more secure and confidence inspiring. Changing line was easier despite the alleged increased giro effect. The brakes are astonishing. Forks suffered from dry squeaky seals. What should I use?
9880cd19699fbb85b7e41329b58e4995_zpsc348d14e.jpg

SRAM is a little brittle and clicky but worked smoothly and well throughout.

I'm sold. As I was riding home my heart sank. I feel some very tough decisions and separations are ahead.

For comparison. Both 21 inch frames and set up for me at 6'3" 33/34 leg.

653cf422bf8fa1fb7f8e5cebbdeca92a_zpse4384239.jpg

Re:

Pleased you liked it brother, so how much DO you want for the Rourke frame? :facepalm:

Mike

Re: It's ENORMOUS!

Pick another!

What's going on with the super long gear cable outers on the Cooker?

Re:

Put those cables down to Evans elp us staff!
Id recommend you take a gpmg on your next visit, if there is one. But I imagine you're tooled up anyhow
Explosif?

Mike

Re:

COR, that looks bl**dy nice.

Give the gears a chance to settle down before you perform any surgery, SRAM cables are pretty good out of the box, but they will stretch ever so slightly.

Do i need silicon lube or something to stop the fork rubbers squeaking? Don't want to use anything that might degrade them.

The History Man":qa81z7py said:
Do i need silicon lube or something to stop the fork rubbers squeaking? Don't want to use anything that might degrade them.
Ask Johnnyboy666, he recently did a pro mechanic course covering much of the modern suspension kit.

I cover most things suss in Pace grease that I bought about 15 years ago.

Re:

Nice, so you're converted?? ;)

Silicone lube is fine (I use Halfords stuff), you can get the Juice Lubes fork stanchion stuff, or Rock Shox recommend the Brunox Deo fork lube stuff.
Apparently chain lube with PTFE can also be used.

It does seem more befitting a gentleman of my stature.Will keep a couple of 26ers though but which? :facepalm:

Re:

Looks nice mate. Frame is so cool.. old school skinny steel tubes.

I do love modern hydraulic brakes!

Always better in my book to have fewer bikes that get ridden. A thinning won't hurt even if good bikes make way. I know you ride all of yours but regular riders if you know what I mean.

Back