New bike New discipline, cyclocross.

MADB

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
So I was 40 in May and needed to do/try something different and always liked the idea of a cross bike. I could have posted the in the road section but it's not a road bike and I don't intend to use it on the road much so anyway 2 weeks ago one of the big on line bike shops sorted me out with a Merida cross 4, disc brakes, carbon forks and shimano 105 so it ticked all the boxes and not a bad price. So the frame isn't exactly state of the art but at least I can fix or replace the headset and bottom bracket, both external.

Here it is out the box.

Re: New bike New disapline

dark and moody with hint of mint,,looks pretty good ave no idea as to what it is but pretty any how. it all starts at 40,,

I have been out on the bike a few times and was starting to get used to it but I was having a few problems with getting the bike feel right, I don't how to explain it it just felt a bit off. I would get a stiff right knee or a sore left shoulder or some other odd muscle niggle. After much fiddling by me I stared getting the "what have I done" is this the wrong bike for me, it it the wrong size should I change the stem etc. So I did the sensible thing for change and when in search of some one to set the bike up for me and I ended up at Triangle a LBS in Horsforth near Leeds. I only payed £25 and got the bike, my shoes setup and a good bit of advice on how to pedal properly ( turns out I been doing it wrong for years) and some other tips on cross riding and what equipment to use. If your in the area a definite recommendation for an LBS to use, I will be going back.

The bike does feel a bit wired again but after going for an hours ride along the canal to sort out my bad pedal technique and then it to the woods for some fun it was the best £25 I have spent on a bike and I got the reassurance that it the right size and I don't need to change anything (Just yet). I feel much more confident on the bike, both technical and at speed.

Cyclocross training booked in for Wednesday night with the local bike club, the Brontey Wheelers and my first novice race in Keighley on the 21st. I will let you know how badly I do.

Re:

That looks like a fun bike.

I build an mtb/cx frankenbike a while ago, and then found I have almost nowhere to ride a bike with cx gearing locally, which is a bit of a b*gger really, as I enjoyed the little time I had.

I'll be interested to hear how you get one, and well done for entering a race, don't forget to practice your running dismount and remount, cx'ers don't slog up hills like mtb'ers do, they jump off and RUN.

I have cheated a bit with the gearing and replaced the 36t for a 34t inner ring, makes for getting up the hills in West Yorkshire possible.

I joined a training session for cyclocross at Marley sports centre near Keighley. A very good place to turn up and get an idea of what cross racing is all about, it is hard work but lots of fun.

wait a minute, you bought a cyclocross bike for actually doing cyclocross?

You're a rare breed!

haha ^

I have a CX bike, but it's far too heavy to race on. that being said, it's still my go to bike after 2.5 years

Not surprised you were having issues with comfort with the set up in your first picture!
Who the hell set it up like that! (Or is it straight out of the box without any input from a shop?)

Re:

You're tempting me to get a cx bike now :LOL: years ago I raced a bit of cx on my rigid Mtb, an hour of concentrated pain is the best way to describe it (can you still enter local cx races on a 26" wheeled Mtb??).
Plus last weekend some chap on a cx bike came blasting past me on a climb, literally one minute there was no one there, the next he flies past me on a pretty steep climb, he stopped at the top but came flying past me again on a twisty downhill section. I am assuming he was much fitter than me, but also that the cx bike was quite a bit quicker than a hardtail Mtb on fireroads and smooth fast singletrack.

This might interest you: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/cross-vegas-2014.html

Re: Re:

jimo746":39yi42ev said:
can you still enter local cx races on a 26" wheeled Mtb??
Yes, in 99% of cases. Only exclusion is for races where UCI points are available. So national trophy, supercross (they still running that?) and national champs. There may be some local exceptions, so it might be worth ringing the organiser.

Back