2014 'eaton' framed 29er

makster

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
It's always been a desire of mine to build my own frame. I'd mentioned this to my girfriend, so she very kindly, together with my parents, bought me a frame building course for my 40th.
The full details of this are here... viewtopic.php?f=41&t=297169

Anyway, the frame is now ready to be built up, so I best crack on with it!
I'd been collecting parts over the past months. I want to build a 1x10, as I rarely use a granny ring, and I also wanted to try a SRAM set up for a change.
I liked the sound of their clutch rear mechs, so that's the way I've gone.
I kept the brakes, forks and wheels from my Canyon 29er when I sold it, so these were ready to go...appart from getting the tyres to seal.
It was a nightmare getting the rear to seal up. I bought a new high volume pump but still had to resort to fitting a tube first to get one side sealed.
After much swearing though, I got them on....

I really like the retro look of the skinwalls with the modern SLR rims :D
Next up was the fun part. I started with a naked frame....

Then fitted an old XTR bottom bracket from my Rock Lobster....

And then more old tat, in the form of an XTR chainset complete with Superstar narrow/wide chainring and a splash of colour....

Next on was the Hope headset...

It was then that I hit the first, and most expensive, problem....

I'd been a complete tool and forgotten to measure the steerer on the forks I'd saved from my Canyon. It had competely slipped my mind. So...on to ebay I went and found a set of Reba RLT's. These will be being delivered tomorrow, so I carried on with what I've got for now.
So, out came the stash of Thomson goodies...

Fitting the stem highlighted the lack of steerer :facepalm:

Next on was the carbon bars. I dug out my torque wrench and some carbon paste and got busy....

Then it was onto the seating arrangements. I'm using the layback Thomson I had on my Canyon, which requires a shim. This post may end up getting changed for an in-line one, but it'll do for now. The Flite may also be temporary..

On with the wheels, and it's starting to look like a bike :D

Next up is the brand new XO rear mech...

Then it's the brand new XO shifter...

The rear brake was next. I'd saved the Formula RX brakes from my Canyon. I'd fancied some XT's but I really like the Formulas so stuck with these...

It's all taking shape, but that's it for today. I'm hoping that the forks and grips will arrive tomorrow.
It's been a great afternoon :D

Re:

Love it and good read on both threads.

What angles did you go with in the frame? Wondering how aggressive it is? Is it based on the canyon or is it slacker?

Re:

Loving this Mark, nice choice of parts too

Will have to arrange a purbecks blast with the ravers when its built :cool:

Re:

The geometry was based on my Canyon, but with a few tweaks. I always found the canyon a bit cramped, hence the layback post, so the top tube is a tad longer on this one.
I'm intrigued to see how it rides. It'll probably be pony, and end up hung on my lounge wall instead :LOL:

Almost a shame to build it. The other thread was fascinating. Hope it rides as well as it looks.

Re:

I'm pretty sure that steerer will be long enough. Just do up the lower bolt a bit tighter.

;) ;) EDIT - Emoticon added... Don't try this at home, kids... :facepalm:

Re: Re:

MatBH5":1dqwxnj3 said:
I'm pretty sure that steerer will be long enough. Just do up the lower bolt a bit tighter.

Really? If it were a single bolt stem and the steerer was a few mm above the bolt, then yes, but that is going to be below the top bolt, putting too much stress on the stem. Wouldn't trust that at all!

makster":1dqwxnj3 said:
The geometry was based on my Canyon, but with a few tweaks. I always found the canyon a bit cramped, hence the layback post, so the top tube is a tad longer on this one. I'm intrigued to see how it rides. It'll probably be pony, and end up hung on my lounge wall instead :LOL:

Ah cool. That's interesting. Lets be honest, you built it yourself, it looks amazing, if for some weird reason it rode badly just lie and say its amazing and none of us would know. :mrgreen:

Back