>> New Build: Singular Puffin

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I hope, you got, FAT

➡️ The background:

Ever since I first set eyes on a Pugsley I have been "fat curious".

However being a bit of a Luddite the thought of either having to build or get built a pair of off set wheels put me off.

The trend for many manufacturers now tends to be using symmetrical front and rear wheel builds albeit spaced wider than usual and for that matter wider than the original fat bikes.

That said fat bike wheel spacing is as contentious as wheel sizing these days :LOL:

Anyhoo back on track......

Way back in November Sam @ Singular set up a Kickstarter project to build a Singular fat bike. The intention of the bike was to make it less sand/snow specific and more "trailsy". Having not ridden a fat bike before and not really understanding what "trailsy" means I cannot add much more to this :LOL: :LOL:

The frame and forks were set to be spaced 170mm R and 135mm F getting around the need for offset wheels and with clearance to accommodate the widest of tyres (more on this later).

The frame was also to feature the first 100mm spaced EBB to allow for SS without a tensioner and to adjust pedal clearance.

I back the project and looked forward to my February delivery ....... which ended up being a July delivery ;)

That said it gave me a good deal of time to amass the bits.

First observation of building a fat bike ..... it ain't cheap :facepalm: But I knew this already.

➡️ The build:

The build was remarkably straight forward. Yes the hubs and BB/chainset are wider but the rest bolts together in eactly the same way. An afternoon tinkering with a good deal of tea and the bike was ready for its maiden voyage.

➡️ Initial build pics:

DSC_0602_zpsbf52c813.jpg

The build as seen in these pics is bang on 32lb with pedals. Whilst I would like to believe 30lb was possible it wouldn't be without a change of fork and that defeats the point of having bought a frame and forks :LOL:

That said, if I ran my Marta brakes, used a narrow wide 1x10 ring, lighter shifter, foam grips 31lb or under would be achievable.

All that said i think I would be missing the point trying to build a light steel fat bike!

It does have a 115g carbon Selle SLR on it ......

DSC_0606_zps36337c6f.jpg

MMMMM Pauls

DSC_0607_zpsa42dfe6b.jpg

The frame was supplied with some rather nice aluminum cable guides but I found using plastic P clips to achieve the routing I wanted. It bugs me when cables rub the HT hence my cables cross just in front of the ST allowing for less acute angles at the front.

DSC_0609_zps21f9352a.jpg

The chaps at Just Riding Along build the wheels and supplied the tyres. Fantastic guys to deal with. I've since had a 29er+ wheel built by them and thats great too.

Wheels comprise: Hope Fatsno hubs, Surly Marge Lite rims, Surly Nate Ultralite(??????) tyres and sapim race spokes. The guys at JRA said you would build with a lighter spoke as the stiffness came from the rim and wider hubs but se point above regarding wight ....

DSC_0610_zpsd0bc1e62.jpg

As with all Sam's creations the frame wears a rather nice metal HT badge.

➡️ The ride:

I've ridden this a fair bit recently. I'm still playing about with tyre pressures (I must actually buy a pressure gauge!). First impressions are its a beast. Soooo much grip. Despite this being an XL frame I've taken to riding it like a big BMX. With all the grip it seems that you can carry loads of speed into corners and if you do run out of grip it kind of makes its own trails and it plows through stuff!

I had some good advice when looking at chainsets from the likes of Charlie the Bikemonger & Tim at Sideways Cycles as the wider BB takes a bit of time to get used to. I wanted to go with a pair of Middleburn's fat cranks but despite selling both brands and the Middleburns being twice the price both Charlie & Tim recommended the Raceface cranks as seen above as they were narrower.

One observation worth noting is that the Nate tyres shed mud really quite well. That coupled with their width and the relative "skinnyness" of the frame tubes makes for one very muddy rider :LOL:

➡️ Future upgrades:

A compulsive tinkerer at heart means that even before the bike was built I was looking at upgrades ..... :oops:

I would like to try a larger cluster set up at the back. Staying 1x10 but perhaps using Absolute Blacks cassette adapter and also a thick/thin ring to forgo using the chain guide.

Oh and a 80mm rim wheel build with a Surly Bud tyre (5'') for the front .........

These upgrades will come in the future when funds allow.

Re:

Looks ace! I have met another rider who loves his to bits but he's been waiting for the rain to try it in mud mode (I think that got sorted out today).

Mine's still in the box :oops:

Re:

anyone near to ripon? wanting a fat bike i have half a salsa mukluk
in white 20'' could sell it;
or may get a set of wheels for it sometime being tight and from yorkshire
i am waiting for some to turn up cheap :facepalm:
the puffin looks to have a following though and does look the biz
be great to try one out round the north york moors me thinks
with all the soft peaty ground.

letmetalktomark":924pnldv said:
Spot the 5'' tyre ......

10891915_10154993303920573_4092516698751015048_n.jpg

So is that the Bud? and what rim is it on please?

Looks Ace, I am hoping for snow, someone is trying to sell me some 'ground controls' too but I am sticking with the BFL's for now.

And yes, the wheels and parts are a pretty penny aren't they!

Fat bikes look like Jo Burt drew them. Not a bad thing.

Love the head badge. Probably best ever

Fat bikes seem really popular now everyones making them. i am curious i thought they were for snow and sand and didn't work on normal trials. I would like to try one though, i poo pooed 29ers for ages until i got my Sherpa and eat my words.

How does it compare to a normal 29er

THEFALLGUY":x4uhq1pq said:
Fat bikes look like Jo Burt drew them. Not a bad thing.

Love the head badge. Probably best ever

Fat bikes seem really popular now everyones making them. i am curious i thought they were for snow and sand and didn't work on normal trials. I would like to try one though, i poo pooed 29ers for ages until i got my Sherpa and eat my words.

How does it compare to a normal 29er

I believe that later generations of Fatbike are aimed to be more trail friendly (indeed the Puffin was sold as that), whereas nowadays I think they are stunt bikes or something :D http://vimeo.com/116572902

They ride like a lot of fun :) Yes they are relatively heavy but have lots of grip, they tend to smooth out the trails a bit, work well on wet roots and from limited testing, I'd say its a bit like the MTB is like a good old Landrover, whereas the Fatty feels a bit more like a Range Rover - bit more comfy, not quite as agile - subjective opinion of course (and perhaps biased due to me fitting a Brooks B17 to mine making it particularly springy).

Also as there is some weight to the wheels, they do have a bit of a flywheel effect to them, needing a bit more effort to turn at speed but they go along nicely. Around town they are fun too but they do attract a lot of attention. But rarely do I get off that bike without a smile. And stupid as it sounds, they feel like you could knock buildings down with them ;)

Back