My first build thread Kona Explosif eBay frame find

raveydavey

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi

I joined this site years ago and love it to bits, acquired loads of stuff from various members over the years. The cycling bug has bitten again and I have been coerced into doing my first build thread (thanks ishaw). I am hoping I will enjoy it but equally importantly hope others may benefit from it too.

I've always loved Kona's and I've previously owned a 19" 95 Cinder Cone (Cindy - my first true love!), a 20" 96 Kilauea (workhorse for kiddie child seats and trailers and gator bars) and I did indulge myself in a 20" 97/8 Hei Hei for a while but couldn't justify keeping it (I was always petrified somebody would 'half inch' it!)

Anyway enough of memory lane, I took a punt on this on eBay last week and it came good.
It was listed as a 93 Explosif, which I knew it wasn't, but the absence of a disc mount made me think it was definitely from the 90's.
The buyer said it was OX True Temper and the photo seemed to confirm this, which helped me later narrow it down to a 2002 model.
So obviously I now have to post it in the 1998 > section, rather than the >1997 section which I nearly did to start with!
I wasn't expecting much for my 47 English pounds, but was pleasantly surprised when I picked it up, the picture from eBay as attached just doesn't do it justice at all.

It's got the Ritchey dropouts and rear brake guide (so no dog collar thing or whatever they used to call it!) and is in an almost Marin Zolatone, grey colour.

The plan is a bit of a mish mash of parts from throughout the 90's. I've been into cycling long enough to know what parts I really like and I've broken enough parts to know those that will last the distance! I like understated so that may be a theme but I also like the retro look so that will also feature too! For most of the parts there is no decision to be made, (Marzocchi Z2 forks, Chris King Headset, Flite saddle, Hope hubs, Mavic CD Ceramic rims) but other parts are going to be a bit of trial and error. It would be too easy to slap XTR M950/1/2 and make it look really stealth like, but I'm going to try to shy away from M950 wherever I can.

Anyway watch this space

Attachments

• my explosif.JPG
    my explosif.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 2,132
I want to see this built...

Great price, rare to find them for that little money.

Out of interest is this a 20" frame?

Re:

Yep 20" I'm 6'3" - Thats why I had to break up with Cindy!
It won't be winning any BotM awards cos most of the parts will be what I've accumulated over the years and have come to know and trust. Will try and do a lash up of what I've got so far (including XTR M900 rear mech and M901 front mech) tonight.
Just sooooo looking forward to being able to ride it - hopefully sooner rather than later!

Re:

Ok quick lash up last night this is how she is looking. :D

USE seatpost cleaned up nicely with a bit of T Cut, I think this seatpost was blue in 1996 when it was bought until I got hold of some sandpaper!
Flite has seen better days but having ridden Flites since 1996 my ass is almost moulded to this shape!
Chris King headset in black to complement the black seatclamp (I'm a stickler for seat clamps being the same colour as the headset)
Hope hubs on 117CD SUP ceramics. I've got the later Suspension/Ti Glide with the spline for discs should I feel the need in future - but only on the front obviously!
I think the 117s were a bit heavier than the 517s but the ceramic coating on the 117s is in my experience much better than that on the 517s.
The Tioga Factory XC tyres are on there cos they have such a huge air chamber and provide loads of cushioning. I may acquire some amberwalls at some point though?!
The Z2s are missing their decals but I quite like the injection of a bit of colour. I used to have some Z2 X Fly's in black and chrome which would look ace but they didn't stand the test of time so are a no go for me.
The stem is a Control Tech one, nothing too flashy just well built, looks nice and does the job.
The bar is an X-Lite carbon riser jobby, I do really like this bar and I know if I was going fully retro it should be straight bar and bar ends but I want to stay true (ish!) to my brief.
Which I am now going to completely contradict.... :LOL: :facepalm:
Despite what I said earlier about XTR M95x series the skewers, brake levers and shifters all come from this series. I love the way XTR is milled out of the skewer arms. I remember the first time I saw one of these in the flesh and recall telling myself that one day when I'm not a skint student I'll get some of them!
So I've now run out of parts to fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gonna have a sort through whats left in the infamous 'box o bits' and try to shift it on here then think about what's next.

Attachments

• IMG_2933a.jpg
    IMG_2933a.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 2,071
  • IMG_2938a.jpg
    IMG_2938a.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 2,071
  • IMG_2939a.jpg
    IMG_2939a.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 2,071
steel canadian frame, ck and hope components, marzocchi fork... that bike have all of my favourite components... looks very racer than modern 29" xc front

Re:

decided I needed to ride this baby just could not face having to save up to complete the dream spec so bit of digging around and here she is.
I found a DX crankset in the infamous box of bits which I have cleaned up a bit.
These epitomise my early days in mountain biking. At that time to me and my mates XTR wasn't even an option because of its extortionate price. XT was the stuff dreams were made of and DX was the stuff we all longed for. Occasionally somebody would convince their parents that a random part for their bike that their parents didn't even know the name of would be a quality birthday/xmas present. The alternative to this approach was to save up for what felt like years - all for a smattering of DX. I never had a DX rear mech BITD but did have a DX chainset and much as I didn't realise it I love them and their understated quality.
I bought some different chainrings for my tandem so borrowed the Pace chainrings from there.
They are 24,36,48 of the 110 BCD variety so 'proper' retro - I am not fully convinced this is the way to go but at least I can take her for a blast now.
So this is the bit where the real retro heads are going to shout at me!
A while ago I obtained a set of Avid BB7 disc calipers at a bargain price but never got round to doing anything with them.
So I stuck one on the front of my missus' bke and nicked the XT V brake off hers for the rear brake
After much deliberation about whether to buy another XT V brake I've stuck the other BB7 on the front end - I know I know not 'proper' retro but much better in the mud!
So here she is, can't wait til Sunday just hope the weather forecast is wrong!

Attachments

• IMG_3174a.jpg
    IMG_3174a.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 1,915
This one's with me now, via eBay and scant.

Getting built up as a rigid P2 2x9 for the summer while Stumpy goes off for new paint.

Pictures when it's done.

Back