DMR rhythm Mk1

stevet1

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Starting my own thread rather than hijacking reanimations any further.
Had this frame for a while but haven't ridden it for probably 5 Years due to having a BMX as well.
Decided to strip it back down and rebuild ready to hit the BMX track.

Progress so far, frame was still like new.
14599304111_5388b9f765_z.jpg

14599304101_b98bd8ea5c_z.jpg

Not sure if its painted, or just clear-coated, you can see the brazing on the cable guides.
14599304091_8db01dfd5d_z.jpg

Rear end with removeable V brake mounts. I'll be putting these back on as I want to fit v's to keep the weight down
14599304081_e2dd078c8d_z.jpg

Next step is building the 24" wheels, just waiting on some spokes in the right length.

I just happened to click on post '98! :D

Hey that looks great actually, seems to not have excessive gear cable guides which I'd expected to see. Being an early one it doesnt suffer the oversized down tube either. Looks ace!

Well finished this for about a month now. Have taken it down to the BMX track where it's really shown itself to be a great little bike. I've tried to keep the wheels and tyres as light as I could without spending £££ - used an old set of Hope hubs and built them onto Sun Rhyno lite rims with butted spokes. Tyres are Schwalbe tabletops with a folding bead which are light for a 24" tyre and perfect for the track. Overall it accelerates well and feels more stable in the air than my 20" BMX (as expected) but still very easy to manual etc. Its a great in between bike that has some of the best qualities of my BMX and my MTB. 80mm sus forks take the edge off harsh landings and I reckon even help to pump through the track and off take-offs.

15315609684_afcae16469.jpg

15318227973_e9492eb031.jpg

Awesome! Great work. these are great inbetween bikes as you say. At the time I was pondering a Cruiser BMX but apparently only the new skool ones are any good, then decided to liberate my 24" Halo's! Glad I did. I've just ladened mine down with heavy tyres just because, you've got the right idea, The Rhythm is surprisingly light as a frame and to ride so minimal components helps it even more. Flite might be weenie too far though :D :p be a shame to scuff it! nice build. Will update mine soon.

Re:

Have a few spare Flites so on it went! Also reusing an old Pace stem, a syncros seatpost, a Machine tech Brake lever and first generation XTR V brake, XTR M900 cranks and a UN73 BB...
May update the cranks at some point but the rest is going to stay as otherwise it would be languishing in my spare parts cupboard.
I find light tyres make the most difference to a bike, especially one like this that is being accelerated hard and thrown about.

I have a rough Flite I was given that will be on a ghetto bike sometime in the future, would be nice on the Rusthopper. Quite an impressive retro style build then, good to put those spares to use.
You're right about tyres. I fitted Halo Contra and Ception just because they are available still and I have no suspension and intend to ride the black one as a winter local trail bike but apart from being heavy, the front end is still too low, so I was better 46ering again. Will strip and rebuild new frame back into a general play bike after winter. DMR Moto's can go on again, though Maxxis Holy Rollers are meant to be good too.

What bars have you got on the front? With 80mm suspension and 24" wheels I went for 75mm rise bars. If you look at 24" cruiser BMX's they run 6" rise bars (but with no suspension obviously).

Same 75mm or 3", had Wing bars which were great and have cut down Blk MRKT bars at mo, bit of steerer and 435 a-c on the forks. Having a shoulder injury it makes it more obvious I'm not built for small bikes but hells Gonna try it anyway! :D
10409311_10152388043810706_9207626311890639747_n.jpg

Re:

Yours is looking good with that fat front tyre and stealth black! Not much more you can do to raise the front end unless you fit 100mm sus forks which might upset the handling, especially the BB height. Not sure how long my 80mm travel forks are, probably around 440mm-460mm?

Here is my Specialized Vegas 24 - Originally had the previous year burgandy version, but after the seat tube split by the seat-stay/top tube, Specialized replaced it FOC (even tho it was 2years old by then - I knew 3others that also split).

main.php

Obviously I built it back up as you see it here, with discs (Atom Lab rear hub/convertor and caliper mount), Profiles, 27Seven finshing kit and Z2's - It was/is an absolute blast, but is currently languishing in the garage in bits.

With the Z2's I also ran hi-rise single piece bars. Everyone else at the time on their 26's were running DMR Wing Bars, but I just couldnt get on with them, but the 24Sevens were perfect

Is due to for a repaint and refresh early next year

Back