big wheel content - Ritchey P29er

paddy311

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'd been wanting one of these since I first saw one - finally gave in when the opportunity of a new frame and Ritchey WCS carbon fork at less than retail came up at a local shop.

Built it up as 2x9 with modern XT stuff and nearly all Ritchey finishing kit. Skimped on the brakes a bit - they're just Deore but easily good enough for me, and cheap to replace if anything breaks. Had a bit of a brucie bones with the handlebars. I ordered and paid for £30 alloy ones but the supplier sent me Ritchey WCS carbon ones that were priced at £120 :cool:

I'd not really aimed for a weenie build but it's come out at 22 pounds 1 ounce on the park scales at my LBS. :shock:

I've only done a couple of rides so far - both around my regular local 9.5 mile loop....... it's great. Very fast and surprisingly responsive for such massive wheels. First time out I knocked 2 minutes off my normal 'fast' time without pushing it at all. Some people say these big wheelers are the emperors new clothes...... but the clock doesn't lie ;)

Early days but so far I'm really pleased with it - and I hope it will be with me for a long time :)

Re:

They're double sided.
I'm still setting the bars and stem etc up TBH. Started with a short 70mm stem and the bars on the 'low' side, but left the steerer tube long with a spacer on top in case I decide to move the stem up, put a longer stem on it, or turn the bars to get another 5mm or so of height.

Love the Ritchey frame in classic colours, some day I will fall for one too. What size is this, the 19" large?

Ditto on the handlebar, low mount with plenty spacer stack for options, I think it will look better when flipped.
And knocking minutes of your fast times has just started, it took me a while to relly adjust to my first 29er.

Another one over to the dark side.

Enjoy!!

Re:

CHeers gents. I didn't weigh the frame on its own - but Ritchey reckon on 4.7lbs for the frame in a 19" which this is. Like I say though - I didn't intend this to be a super light build. I'm certainly not complaining though :D

Re:

Awww man I have been looking at these frames for around a year now, just out of my price range. That is a beautiful bike and yeah I am with you on the 29er/faster times thang! Since I have had my Santa Cruz times have been toppled and I love the ride. Would love this frame to stick my stuff on! How tall are you? My 19" SC fits me at 6ft 3-4...just curious should I be thinking of this frame. ;)

Re:

Cheers - I'm really pleased with it. I'm 5'11" and it fits me well albeit with the final position of the bars to work out.
If I was two inches shorter it wouldn't fit though - I'm about as short as you would want to be for a 19" I'd say.
Would the XL be a better fit for you ? I'm sure I saw one of those for sale cheap recently on some website or other. If I remember where I'll let you know.

Lovely build

Nothing wrong with the deore brakes, not the lightest but very good which is the more important thing for me at least.

Only thing I'm not 100% on is the fork...not sure if it's the colour or the shape. Maybe that's just me and spending a lifetime looking at project 2's and those old Saracen segmented forks!

Back