Kona Smoke (cro-mo) build up!

thecallup

Dirt Disciple
I had been looking for years for a mid - 90's KONA Cinder Cone of Lava Dome frame to build it up with modern components. After two or three years of searching without result, I almost gave up and set for an Univega Alpina 5.3 bike. I've been working on this bike on and off in the last half year.

Two weeks ago, all of a sudden the bike below appeared on the internet.
The owner had bougt a 2010 Kona Smoke, basically a (low) budget hybrid bike. However, the geometry and materials of the frame are quite similar to mid-90's Kona Cinder Cone / Lava Dome types. He'd striped the bike and built it up with proper components. The complete bike was ready to go and had almost no visible damage. Chain and cassette were new. I paid €430,- instantly and have been riding the bike in the Ardennen last week and in Holland this week.

Specs:
fork: RS Reba Race 2010
headset: Cane Creek S3 with KORE (to replace the shorter Kona that was on there first)
rearder.: Deore LX
frontder.: XTR
shifters: Deore XT
cranks: SLX
brakes: Deore XT v-brake w Deore XT levers
frontwheel: Mavic x139 w Deore hub and nobby nic
rearwheel: Aeroheat AT velocity w (what i believe is a) Deore hub and racing ralph
seatpost: Pro LT
seat: selle italia trans am

Curious what you guys think. Oh and yes, the bike is quite heavy but nothing you can't handle. I didn't weigh it yet but I reckon 13/14kg max.
Put on a Cateye slim wireless today (by the way, how do you get the computer out of the frame without using violence?) and a chainstay guard.

IMG_3111_zps68068779.jpg

IMG_3108_zps1a51cfea.jpg

Re:

Very nice - I'd converted the older version of the same Kona Smoke frame to a touring rig. It's made out of lower quality tubes but rides like the old school 90's classic Konas. Good job.

Re:

hey buzzsaw,

any more info on those tubes and their quality?
would be great to see some pics of your Smoke as well!

Re:

I have a thread on the bike here (sorry the pics aren't the best):
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=260607
My frame is the 2005 model but they are much the same until they changed to larger 700c wheels in 2008. There's not much info on the tubes except it's chromoly (probably generic 4130) and is butted so is quite robust. Mine is setup for a more leisurely ride but I do ride mine down a steep fire trails in my area that is more suited to a suspended bike and the Smoke was a quite comfortable doing it if a bit more hairy using V brakes! I also have a 1994 Kona Kilauea with the lighter Tange Prestige tubing and I would say the Smoke rides similar with almost the same geometry but not as quick off the mark due to the heavier frameset but pretty stable when loaded with gear like panniers. The Smoke frame is actually a great way to get the "Kona feel" ride on a budget and looking at the speccy gear on your bike it should be fun ride.

Re:

thanks buzz!
I can agree with all you say. I will try to weigh the bike soon (dont own a scale myself). It's geometry is super quick, but you can definitely tell it's a steel bike when riding uphill. Love riding it though, especially on technical tracks.
I'll keep my eyes peeled for other Kona steel frames.

Also will build up my Univega Alpine 5.3, which unfortunately has a 1" headtube which makes it a challenge to find proper forks. I'm a bit hesitant using the original Rodem's because I don't know how they will hold up...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=269913

Re:

Keep a eye out for the Kilauea, Explosif or even the Cinder Cone models if you are looking for nice Kona frames. Actually any of the 90's period ones are decent. There's always a few that pop up on Ebay, Gumtree and from readers on this site. Beware once you get one decent Kona it becomes addictive!!
Your Univega frames looks pretty decent - one solution if you want front suspension forks is to try to find some decent condition mid- late 90's Marzocchi Z2, Z3 and you can change the steerer tube to a 1" one which is held on the steerer clamp by a couple allen bolts. Thats what I did with my 92 Scott Comp CST bike that had a 1" steerer which I paired up with 98 Marzocchi Z5 forks. Otherwise get some 1" rigid forks for it.

I have one of these as a single speed. Will post some pics shortly. I really like it - as a 29er it has a retro modern look.

I'm sure I read somewhere that these were turn of the century frames that were never painted/sold right at the point aluminium HTs became more popular 2001(?).

Back