Bit of info would be nice.

K18 NOB

Retro Newbie
Hi guys,

I bought this bike about 8months ago and it was fairly tired, I dont do much MTB riding as im a true roady at heart but i do still like things to be right so i have recently set about giving it a full over haul.

What id like to know is how old this bike is? I dont think it is too old given the gear on it but its certainly not a couple of years old.

Anyway here are the pics....the first is when i bought the bike and going through to how it sits at the moment (still unfinished)

All i know about it is that its a Marin Wolfridge, Wouldnt even be able to guess at the age so any help would be appreciated.

Re:

Its around 2004.

Have a look on bikepedia for the model they will have it listed.

Nice to see it given some love but the decals aren't really to my liking to be honest. Would take the bear valley one off.

Well its finished anyway, Got my hands on a nice set of Mavics fairly local so its all good to go apart from needing to replace the brakes.....I could just service them but as ive found its more expensive to buy a service kit for them than it is to just replace them so im going with that option.

Re:

servicing more expensive than replacing? those are Hope mini brakes, approx £120 each when new, all the parts are still available and aren't that bad money.

2 x pads £26 (which is a consumable anyway)
2 x seal kits/rebuild kit £26
oil, £5

that's if you need all of those bits, so £57 at the most would have them running perfect, chances of getting something equivalent to Hope brakes as a pair for £57? doubtful :shock:

you've done a good clean up job there though, might be worth keeping an eye on the shock body though, looks worn in the pictures, if it is then that would be an expensive fix, approx £135 if memory serves. i picked up a used shock like that one for £100 so ebay can be your friend there.

Re:

5B33A6CE-A278-42A9-850B-206D0BC11901_zpsvx9glttl.jpg

Beer and a hammer in the same pic..? :facepalm:

Re: Re:

jonnyboy666":39ql01in said:
servicing more expensive than replacing? those are Hope mini brakes, approx £120 each when new, all the parts are still available and aren't that bad money.

2 x pads £26 (which is a consumable anyway)
2 x seal kits/rebuild kit £26
oil, £5

that's if you need all of those bits, so £57 at the most would have them running perfect, chances of getting something equivalent to Hope brakes as a pair for £57? doubtful :shock:

you've done a good clean up job there though, might be worth keeping an eye on the shock body though, looks worn in the pictures, if it is then that would be an expensive fix, approx £135 if memory serves. i picked up a used shock like that one for £100 so ebay can be your friend there.

The pads are fine, Its the seal/re-build kits i need.....Could you link where you found them for that price? I cant seem to find them anywhere at that price so that would be nice.....would be good to keep these brakes as they worked nicely when i first got the bike.

As for the shock, I did notice the wear on it and tbh it seems to be working perfectly fine but i was planning to upgrade to a model with remote lockout anyway so will probably be replaced once i have some spare cash.

Thanks for your comments :D

Re: Re:

suburbanreuben":wgxktn2v said:
Beer and a hammer in the same pic..? :facepalm:

:LOL:

It does sound like a bad combination but to make it slightly better i re-named the hammer "gentle persuasion tool" and when combined with "refreshing summer beverage" it doesn't sound too bad :roll:

Re:

lever rebuild kit £9.50 each :-
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope ... p-prod2509

caliper kit £3.49 each :-
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope ... p-prod3274

make sure you check the correct box on which caliper kit though, you have "mini" not "mono mini"

oil £6.99 but have seen it cheaper elsewhere, think i only paid about £5 last time i got some:-
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rock ... p-prod8400

parts wise that should be everything you need unless there is something else broken

:)

Hmmm i looked on there and couldn't find them......Thats odd but i wont complain as that is a lot cheaper :)

Cheers for the help.....Items now ordered

Re:

A Marin always catches my eye! I have ridden one of these myself, albeit a mates. They are the more "All Mountain" rather than "XC" so are built more sturdy and weigh a bit more than the Marin Mount Vision etc XC range. Longer travel forks and rear will give it a plush feel downhill, just a bit more effort required to get it back up again!

Nice to see some effort but into the resto but I have to second the get rid of the "Bear Valley SE" decals, thats like putting a Ford Focus badge on a Land Rover! Sorry just a bit naff IMO! :D

Oh and keep those Hope brakes!!!

Doug

Back