Intense 5.5 build thread

ollie540

Devout Dirtbag
After having a Luke Skywalker moment and realising I'd never join the dark side (and promptly selling my road bike... :cool: ) I realised it was time to build a "new" bike to celebrate my return to the real world. As a long term rat biker, always using retro bits and bobs to make them work this was quite a challenge, I'm a northerner trapped in a southerners body and to be honest the idea of blowing a whole load of cash on a bike scared the bejeesus out of me, but this was a treat and the build is always part of the fun.
After a little consideration I decided that I'd buy a 2nd hand frame, carry over a few parts from my 1999 Tracer, but buy a new groupset and required pimpy bits to take me into 2014 rather than y2k that I'd been stuck in forever...
Initially I was after a patriot after the one I ran in my 20's, however they were all overpriced, or listed by idiots on Pinkbike, and to be honest a little too gnar, 5's were overpriced, and whilst I love orange they didn't quite hit the spot. What I did find was an Intense 5.5, at a price I liked, and even though it needs new bearings it ticked all the boxes. I swiftly ordered a 2014 SLX groupset (inc brakes and 30 speeds :shock: ) from Merlin, Tyres, grips & Carbon bars / stem from PX, Bearings from t'bay, and even a new A1 from CRC (figured if your going to do it, do it in style)
The frame has been posted and will be with me tomorrow, as are the Merlin and PX order, and the CRC order is on its way.
Its safe to say I'm like a dog with two d*cks at the moment, I'll post updates as it goes together, I'm going for a lite AM / heavyish XC build with a couple of retro nods (Ritchey SPD's anyone?)
For now here's a pic of the 5.5 looking mean, I'll be running Bomber 33's upfront and keeping the DHX on the rear to compensate for my lack of skill descending. The only component I've kept is the Thompson, so it should be a nice climber and descender if I can keep the weight down.
More pics as they arrive!
Happy days.

Attachments

• 505.jpg
    505.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 533
Re:

I've just bought one of these too,so I'll be folllowing this with interest.
Seems like a sturdy, well built frame with a reputation for sublimely quick handling or as a tricky widowmaker, depending on how girly blouse the reviewer is.
Sounds fun!

Exactly, It'll be interesting to see what the weight is like once built up, they sound like handful if you're not on your game!

Re:

Cheers, the bars are from Planet X, they're look a little narrow when they're fitted but work out the same width as the risers I took off.
Another pic of the build, only problem has been fitting the BB as neither of my local shops had a tool in stock and I've been too busy with work to wheel her down to be looked at. I'm loath to order it from CRC so I reckon it'll be a Saturday morning job to Rutland cycles.
When I ordered the semi slicks (although they are fairly knobbly for SS's) it rained for 3 days. Fitted them yesterday and its been sunny since.
Its a sign I tell you!
Most of the Groupset is now on, amazed at how much lighter the BB and cassette are compared to retro (albeit cheap retro) stuff. The tyres / tubes / rotors and cassette must have saved a pound at least.
She's looking good so far, glad I went for the DHX rear shock, although its heavier its more suited to my ham fisted riding style :)

Attachments

• late build.jpg
    late build.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 456
  • mid build front.jpg
    mid build front.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 456
I was loving that until I saw the tyres!

Sorry - just not my thing. Otherwise very nice.

Re:

Yeah, the tyres are a little marmite... :shock:
They are damn light though, unfortunately with the weather forecast for next week looking rubbish again I'll be fitting heavy duty rubber. Supossed to be at Antur Stiniog one day next week so it'll be fat tread time again.

I like it although i can't see those tyres staying very white after a couple of months of use but those bars really do look narrow but in saying that i did make some bars back in the eighties and they were 19" wide which was the width of my shoulders at the time which made for very quick steerering which i loved but i was in my early 20's back then , mind you i'm getting a cheap Rock rider 5.2 come Sunday and the bars on that don't look very wide so i'll see how i get on with them although i do have some straight bars around 25" wide so they may just end up being used lol .

Back