Kona Caldera 1998 (Needs love) Now fixed

watanabe43

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I posted a bit about me in the introduction thread but might as well stick my bike up for a laugh. She was built from a frame while I was working in the trade and ended up mostly bits I got cheap to be honest - IIRC the whole lot cost under £200.

1998 Caldera frame
Tange cromo forks (were meant to be temporary)
Full LX 570 except for v-brakes (can't remember)
Sun Cre16 rims DB spokes LX hubs
Cheap Kalloy post and saddle borrowed off a Giant hybrid (yep, original nicked)
Salsa 'MotoAce' stem
Roox Freeride FPS riser bars
Maxxis Helter/Skelter tyres (had slicks on for years)
Very expensive coated brake cables (still good as new) :LOL:

Anyway, I'm giving her some love and trying to replace the awful bits - if anyone could advise on a good set of shocks (or sell me some) which would work with the geometry (set for a Judy T2) I would really appreciate it... I think a new saddle and handlebar stem also needed as well as getting rid of the awful stickers which turn it into an ad for I.D.Sports circa 1999 (they ran out of the back of the shop) :oops:

She should look like this:

Re: Kona Caldera 1998 (needs love)

It's a nice frame mate, so could def do with a bit of tlc! I suspect you'll get a lot of this but if I was you I'd be looking for a set of Marzocchi Bombers, preferably Z2s with no more than 80mm of travel. A set in red would probably look pretty sweet. I think the brake calipers look like Avids, I've not seen any other brand in that colour.

Re:

Thanks MW, I was thinking along those lines - watching a couple on fleabay although the words 'work perfect but look like they might need a service' don't fill me with confidence.

Hopefully something comes up on the for sale section here - I've never actually owned a suspension fork :oops:

Thinking back I'm pretty sure the brakes were one of many samples we obtained from Taiwan to potentially rebrand as Salsa (i.e. free) so they are 'rare' at least :shock: Work darn well though...

Re:

It certainly looks robust and that frame looks fairly decent so i take it the shifters are lx as well then ? ..

Re:

Yeah, the ones with the Hi/Lo adjustment bolt on the brake lever :LOL:

Frame is fantastic under all the crap.

Hopefully bike will look very different this time next week...

Re: Kona Caldera 1998 (needs love)

Lovely bike, i have a 1998 Caldera myself, ive got a set of Z3 light bombers on mine (original owner specced them on purchase) rides brilliantly, and although its a little small for me, i still love it!

Re:

So...add this lot, some straight carbon bars and new grips, a good clean and destickering...

And we have this...

Much better... :D

Just some new brakes and we're done.

That really does look a lot tidier :cool: and how come you've got bombers instead of judie's although i do prefer the looks of the bombers tbh and why you changing the V-brakes as i think they look pretty neat ;) ..

I bet your new perch is really comfy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cry: ...

Back