2008 Zaskar Re-issue

T'boo Ted

GT Fan
Feedback
View
Well I've had this bike for a good while now, but thought I'd make a build thread just for posterity and giggles.

Ever since I opend up my first mountain bike magazine (mountain bike international I think late 1991 edition) and it had the double page add with the Zaskar in it, I was hooked...Yeah OK it had the 91 worlds review and Tomacs Raliegh was my ultimate uber dream bike... but ever since my BMX days GT was my top favourite brand. So I always dreamed of getting a Zaskar...until I discovered the Xizang. Well long boring story short I never got one (either one). Then when the reissue was announced, whoop! I might actually get one...yes yes I know that it isn't exactly an old one, but hell didn't care. But of corse they didn't come to Australia, boo. I did try to buy one from all round good guy GM1230126, but unfortunaly the Australian dollar tanked overnight (0.98USc to 0.52USc) gar, bloody GAR!!! So frame double in price and I couldn't buy a toothpick.
Anyway about a year later they appeared on wiggle, sweet, but wiggle then didn't ship frames overseas... waiting, then boom, wiggle did and they were on sale, $820 shipped, fro a frame that would have retailed here for $AU2000-2300.

SO I was happy, had the frame, took about a year to get all the bits together...

Arrival day
DSC00424.jpg

In the stand

DSC00684.jpg

A small problem, punch and ripped up coke can and some carfull tapping, all round again, well roundish)

DSC00681.jpg

Ritchy WCS drop in headset and Duke race forks on

DSC00707.jpg

blurry with excitement

DSC00709.jpg

All together now

DSC00716.jpg

First ride

DSC00717.jpg

Out for that worldwide retro ride a few years ago...when was that, has it been done again?

DSC00760.jpg

All the old crew lined up

DSC00718.jpg

After a big move intersate for work, a few "upgrades", AMC wheels, XT brakes and corsa SL ferrari limited edition forks (everything is either black or white these days, I wanted a different colour, so Red it was)

DSC_0988.jpg

and how he is now...

DSC_1943_zpsba6eaad2.jpg

DSC_1946_zpscc4bacef.jpg

So not the greatest build, or indeed build thread, but I'm pretty happy with how it is, seems to work pretty well (except for these tubeless tyres... that and the setting up of a marzocchi fork lockout). Now I have the Xizang I don';t ride it that much, have even thought of selling it... but then what would I do without it?

Agreed, but those v brakes are now on my xizang, and this now stops a whole lot better, have added on a riser bar, as much as I didn't want to, it is set up a bit better for the local trails

;) Nice I do like Gt's as owned a few.

I remember reading MBUK they had a re-issue up for grabs in a competition full build with hope anodised hubs and brakes in retro purple.

Re:

that looks wicked!! in fact this is one of the bikes id have to restrain myself from buying if i ever got the chance to buy one :cool:

Aye the 1/2 price on wiggle made it hard to pass up...
Only problem with it now is that it is set up pretty much perfectly for me and how I liek to ride, makes the Xizang almost redundant :(

Back