Zaskar X Rebuild (Picture Heavy!)

Krause

Dirt Disciple
After a few years of searching I finally Found a GT Zaskar X in XL, wanted this bike ever since I saw it in the GT Bike Catalog back in 2000.
This was WAY harder to find then I originally though it was going to be. I initially found one in a craigslist add within a few weeks, but it ended up having a re welded top tube/seat tube joint and a bad repaint in that area. 2-3 have come across ebay.com/ebay.co.uk, Pinkbike, craigslist, etc (I had Zaskar X auto alerts for both US and UK ebay), but were all Medium or large.

Finally came across this one on ebay.co.uk, listed as a large, but it had both top and bottom tube gussets by the headtube, which meant XL (Which ended up also being printed on the partial sticker that was still under the front derailleur).

The goal is to fully rebuild it from scratch with modern high end parts as its going to be my main bike.

Here it is just unboxed:

Here is some pictures outside right after stripping it down, its still caked in dirt! I'm hoping to get some time later this week to do a full cleaning on the frame.

The frame is actually in really good shape, just needs a good cleaning. All the stickers are in great shape aside from one of the small 2 inch GT stickers on the rear triangle that has partly shifted and the back of the 2 stripes wrapped around the upper rear triangle tubes which are starting to lift due to the tight bend. Could probably try a heatgun to shift it back, or maybe I should just leave well enough alone :p

I'll post more soon as I get it cleaned.

-Krause

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back