Roberts D.O.G.S.B.O.L.X 2012

bat40a6

Retrobike Rider
This is my rather lovely DOGSBOLX I had made in 2012. I have always been a fan of Roberts frames and loved the look of the Rocky Mountain Alttitude with its red and yellow scheme. I also had a Roberts Genesis frame built in 1992 so this new frame ticks a lot of nostalgic boxes. I have always loved Syncros components and Flite saddles so they went in to the build as well.

It is custom geometry close to a standard large or 19" frame. Wheels are Industry Nine, gears are the great new XT clutched rear mech and shifters. Modern 2.2 tubeless tyres and wide flat bars really make this a great riding bike and a step up from proper retro :)

Attachments

• db1.jpg
    db1.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 1,393
That's a great bike, a modern classic! I Think if I were to splash out on a new frame it would be one of these as it's good value for money to have something which is essentially unique and beautifully put together.

Need some more close up pics of the fillet brazing and that trademark rear wishbone :)

MY WORD!

I had a look at the modern DB a couple of years ago at Bespoke Bristol and it is a very different machine to my 92 version (which I had with me... long story).

That looks a great build and I am so pleased to see I am not the only one who prefers a different colour scheme to the 'classic' white / black.

What is the ride like?

They are the Paragon Machine Works dropouts. The bike rides very nicely, I have raced it and do some long rides on it.

The carbon Syncros fork and long extension of the Carbon seatpost adds to the quality of the ride. The geometry is very similar to the Cotic Soul size large frame and similar to my size large Cannondale. I specified the 24" top tube and the relatively short 120mm head tube.

I am very happy with the colour scheme but the enamel paint is not the most robust, but I knew that would be the case from the start. The wishbone is a bit vulnerable to stone chips, I am experementing with getting helicopter tape wrapped around it smoothly. I will just use the bike as much as possible and get it resprayed when required in the future.

Attachments

• db dropout.jpg
    db dropout.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 1,199
  • db bb.jpg
    db bb.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,198
  • db front.jpg
    db front.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,198
  • db front 2.jpg
    db front 2.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 1,199
  • db wishbone.jpg
    db wishbone.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,199
I'm afraid I have to agree with you on the paint.

I had a new top tube put in by the guys at Roberts and then had the bike resprayed in an orange / black combo. The orange paint is fine, but the back paint on the chain and seat stays is pretty delicate stuff and even putting the back wheel in / out (carefully) has caused a lot of the paint (but not the primer) to get knocked off.

CR have all their painting done by ColourTech and there have been a number of negative comments on RB about them.

Having been out on a few rides where this bike has been out too I can happily say that the tubes its built out of blew my mind, you can squeeze them in a pinch. amazing.

Max has indeed squeezed my downtube between his fingers :) But seriously, the tube wall does move very slightly visually when squeezed and you can feel it compress when squeezing the ovalised section of the downtube. So it must be very thin steel.

I am ok with the paint, its just that its standard enamel so not as tough as most production bike finishes. It doesn't flake off but will chip if impacted with a stone off the tyre. If it gets any bad dents I will take it to Enigma, get it fixed and sprayed there. Or maybe Jon Rock, I have paint from him and it is tough as old boots.

Back