Giant ATX 900/990

ChrisBrown81

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So I've won this on eBay tonight for £100. I thought that was a steal, what do you guys think??? I think it's a 1998 model but it could be a 97...either way I thought it better suited to 98+ haha. Initial thoughts are I want some original Z1's up front so forks will be up for sale, in fact most things will be changed so if you see anything you like let me know.. The only downside so far is that it's got the Goldtec long travel plates on and doesn't come with the original ones which I ideally want. I think the chances of me finding those are very slim!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,882
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,882
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 1,884
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 1,890
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 1,888
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 1,885
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 1,883
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 1,884
Re: Giant ATX 900/990- new project!!!

Blimey, that's a blast from the past.

A mate of mine used to have be of these with '97 Z1's on the front. It took a fair bit of abuse, having the hell jumped out of it. I doubt you'll find the standard plates, but you never know.

I think you got a great deal on that bike, it has some decent parts for its vintage. I have a ATX 970 and Im still building it, its been kinda put on the backburner for the moment because Im poor and I need a couple things for it. My ATX has the stock plates I might be willing to trade you for your goldtech plates, but Im in the US.

I think postage may cost a bomb... Although you never know! I'll have to look into it! Have you got a thread for your ATX?

ChrisBrown81":2lkkbfij said:
I think postage may cost a bomb... Although you never know! I'll have to look into it! Have you got a thread for your ATX?

I do have a thread for it, but its buried in the 1997 Readers bike section. I need to update it when I get the Derailleur hanger for it. Thats really all thats holding me back. Its a real interesting build because its just thrown together with whatever parts I had laying around.....Ill throw a pic in this thread for you when I get home.

Yeah that would be great! You know what it's like...as soon as you get one of something you want to know everything about them and what everyone else is doing with them!! :)

ChrisBrown81":xzcvpmn4 said:
Yeah that would be great! You know what it's like...as soon as you get one of something you want to know everything about them and what everyone else is doing with them!! :)

I totally understand, I love to find every OUNCE of info I can on any bike I get. I got my bike as a frame from a guy. He threw it in on a trade and it was ROUGH looking. Looked like he lived in a desert....it was caked with mud/sand. I took off the rear triangle and wiped down all the bushings and they were in good shape. Its got an older LX Crankset, XT Front, LX rear, RST 22 coil rear shock, Judy XC up front. I still need a post for it too...I think its 30.9mm...any way you could confirm that for me?

Leave it with me and I'll find out for you :) One of the first things I want to do is check out the RST shock, never had dealings with it and don't know how good it will be....also some Marzocchi Z1's are a must :)

Couple older pics....looks a little different now.

IMAG0969_zpsdd92ea39.jpg

IMAG0968_zpsedda9798.jpg

IMAG0952_zpseaf8061e.jpg

ChrisBrown81":33mg1aab said:
Leave it with me and I'll find out for you :) One of the first things I want to do is check out the RST shock, never had dealings with it and don't know how good it will be....also some Marzocchi Z1's are a must :)

I have some Bomber Z2's on my 1995 Spesh FSR love that fork. I think it has to be the best old school fork...plush, fairly light, and super stiff. Yeah, I inspected my RST and it does move...but i havent ridden with it yet. If its anything like the RST that was on my FSR its going to work just fine but its not plush at all. Any FOX 6.5 x 1.5 air shock would be a massive upgrade.

Back