2000 Litespeed Unicoi...something old, something new (DONE!)

FurryCrew

Dirt Disciple
So originally I was going to build a modern bike from random parts I've been collecting/wanting to try but low and behold I saw an auction for one of my hold grail of bikes come up on Ebay and I just couldn't resist! I've always wanted a Ti bike....and a softtail to boot and in my size!!!

A8Xr0xL.jpg

xZQ0EE0.jpg

Bfd7eO8.jpg

This build will be Modern parts on an old frame as I will actually be riding this and giving it a thrashing so you guys can help me make up my mind which way to go with the build with the following options.

Should I go old skool cira 2000 SIDs or more modern late 2000s Fox Talas?
YfaYOi8.jpg

Should I go new skool double rings or old skool triple crank?
MRlfDnZ.jpg

Here's what else I plan to include in the build

Current generation XT Discs (180 front 160 back) and my old XTR trail SPDs
NsIY3Wx.jpg

Also decided to give Chinese carbon wheels a go. These are Novatech 71XSB 32 hole lace to OEM carbon rims. Cost me just under $450US delivered. Slightly more than a set of Crossrides but a lot lighter.
3NBQcO1.jpg1

Not pictured but awaiting delivery.
Red Chris King headset.

Still debating if I should buy a new sticker set and new headtube badge (badge was missing!) but I kinda like the worn frame look a little though...

Will update as build progresses.

Re: 2000 Litespeed Unicoi....something old, something new

sweet frame you have there :cool: my choice of forks would have to be the fox talas as the colour would compliment the frames ti colour ( my opinion of course ) also matching in with the xtr :cool: . speed wise I think I would have to try the double speed over the triple first just to see how it rides,
the above is only my opinion and choice of course, the final build is going to be your choice but whichever you choose im sure its going to be a fantastic ride and look stunning when its finished :D
I assume you will be running some kind of disc brake adapter on the rear due to your choice of wheels and brakes or do you plan on going the full hog and having one welded on ?

Very cool, I'd go for the Sids and the double. The wheels are very cool.

Yes I've got the official disc tabs that screw into the non-drive side drop-outs from Liightspeed themselves.

I'm still torn over the forks.....Sids would be era correct but Talas would perform/look better too. 1st world problems....

will the talas fit - the steerer looks shorter than the SIDs.

Talas should fit....it's a 14" frame.......should

Re: 2000 Litespeed Unicoi...something old, something new (DO

It's finally all done (with help from my LBS) and it rides like a dream. A dream I 1st had back in the 90s when I was young broke and lusted of Litespeeds and Merlins in the latest MBAs. Now I get to be that fat unfit old guy on an overkill bike! :)

Final weight is right on 24lbs and that's with the heavy as hell TALAS fork.
These are my 1st set of Shimano Discs and got damn do they stop HARD!

XuWs6xm.jpg

T50rnmq.jpg

M7F3Np9.jpg

sQKPhhd.jpg

Additions from initial post are Thomson Elite post and stem on Ritchey carbon bars.
Decided to keep the old stickers are I will actually be taking this bike out in the woods and the stickers will get wrecked again. I can always order a set for the future when she gets retired to garage queen duties.

The only possible upgrade is a lighter fork....which are getting hard to find in >100mm travel on 9mm QR variety.

Re: 2000 Litespeed Unicoi...something old, something new (DO

My buddy has had one of these hanging in his garage for years. It's not my size or I would've snagged it by now. This thread makes me wish it was my size. Very nice!

Back