Harryburgundy buys carbon shock!

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Yup...steel or ti was my mantra, no plastic for me! Until now

I have surprised myself with this latest purchase but the Scapin wasn't doing anything for me and after reading a review or two I thought I may try this frame. Honestly, I think the frame is a little fugly but the ride makes up for it.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... nly-46377/

The build needs a little tweaking here and there but it is pretty much there...I have a carbon controltech matching conical spacer and seatpost clamp on the way, and a smaller rear rotor. Will change then hose colour too.

The ride? Well, nothing serious off road yet but it is amazing! Very stiff but comfortable, this thing flies and is really challenging my fitness (or lack of it). The balance and handling are sublime, just think where you want to go and the frame reacts. This has seriously changed all my views of frame materials, I can't think of any steel or ti frames that rides as well as this. I'm smiling when I ride again!

Better pictures to follow!

Frame: Velocite Flux monocoque carbon (raw carbon finish)
Fork: Fox F100RL
Wheels: Hope Evo Pro3 on Stans Crest running tubeless
Stem: Thomson
Bars: Easton Havoc carbon
Shifters: Sram XO
Brakes: Magura FR
Seatpost: Velocite carbon
Saddle: SDG Bel Air (looking a little sad now)
Cranks; XT double
FM: XT double
RM: Sram XO
Cassette: XTR M970

Oooh! that's nice! :D

Looks very "stealth". also "looks" like a fast bike, which is always a good sign.

So, you would say Plastic is Fantastic?

That looks good Carl. It isn't fugly. 'Different' maybe, but it has its own style. Maybe some more colour as the raw carbon is a bit drab? Say a white saddle to balance the fork?

Funnily enough, I have my own (smaller) piece of carbon as of Saturday - a 2008 VooDoo Sobo with scandium main tubes and a carbon wishbone seatstay. We'll have to see whether this combo is similarly revelatory. I don't really like to tell you how little I paid for it, but maybe the curse of Halfords has a positive side to it!

I've also just acquired some Crest rims - were you at all nervous about the lack of eyelets and did you build the wheels a bit soft to protect the spoke holes?

Very nice Harry but we know how fickle you can be so i dont think you'll mind me berating it :LOL:

Carbon :facepalm: A small tumble on carbon is like a monumental crash involving articulated lorries and dizzying heights for steel :shock:
It doesnt have the longevity an mtb needs especially in one that is designed to be ridden fast over rocky terrain. The nature of the sport does involve some crashing on occasions so it would be prudent not to use a material that can be easily damaged by abrasion :?
Once the lacquer coating is breached ,moisture can start getting to work finding a way in between the carbon sheeting layers.

:oops: :oops: :LOL: :LOL: Srry

Back