2006 Cannodale Badboy.. countdown to Far East built

chiswickcollectables

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
For the last four years I've been commuting on a 2009 Badboy with an 8-Speed Alfine hub and its served me very well.. but recently I fancied a change. One challenge I found with the Alfine was that is was very very heavy and take-offs from the lights (when I actually stopped at them) became tiresome. Also due to a lot of weight being carried at the back and a light(ish) front end, it always felt like I was going to wheelie :shock:. I began riding my 1991 Beast of the East to work instead as I found it quicker even with Smokes and I preferred the good ol' fashioned crazy front and rear mech system of changing gear.

Anyways I sold my 2009 and replaced it with a 2006. This is one of the last 'handbuilt in USA' Badboys produced in the old Cannondale factory in Bedford Pennsylvania which is one of the reasons I went older rather than newer. Since 2011 all Cannondale production has been shipped to the China and Taiwan which IMO is a great tragedy and it means I will never own a brand new one again.

My 2006 was a standard Badboy Ultra when I collected it from the seller at Coventry station, but of course the first thing I did when I got it home was to strip to down to the frame and fork and get to work cleaning it. Luckily it hasn't done much work so the Headshok still locks-out and bounces smoothly. This was a relief as the previous owner didn't realise that there was this weird little valve thing where you could add air and he was permanently riding the fork locked-out :facepalm:

So after stripping down I put virtually every single component in a box and rebuilt to what you see below. Previous spec was SRAM everything, horrific scaffold pole style post and bars, solid rubber tyres, mickey-mouse grips and rusty-head steel boltage and frankly this wouldn't do. Personally I prefer Shimano to SRAM and like Coronation Street its been one of the main constants in my life. So I got together an M770 groupset. M770 is my second fave groupo' after M730/5 and its still made in Japan which is good news as with everything I buy I try and steer clear of the words "made in China"

SRAM however do make my preferred modern brakes and I picked up some rather tasty Avid Elixir (probably made in China) from the 'Bay for a reasonable price. They gave a considerable weight saving over the previous Juicy Fives that were on there and after bleeding and pad replacement they stop dead :D

I've kept the wheelset as I really like the Mavic 317s. OK they're a bit weighty but they're reliable and perfect for our smooth roads.. did I say smooth? Of course I was being sarcastic as I live in England. My mate has a brand new set of Crossrides on his MTB and I was disappointed to see that they were not made in France. I've nothing against the Romanians but as far as I'm concerned Mavic are French and France is where they should be made. These 317s were made in France. For rubber I bought some Panaracer Pasela amberwalls and I think they look rather dapper against the matt-black. They're very light at 205g each but I fear they may be prone to punctures. Nothing for the last three weeks but time will tell.

Other kit consists of some NOS Hyperlites for retro goodness, a carbon Cannondale post nicked off my modern MTB, a Fizik Arione CX saddle, some foamy grips and a Zefal cage. I've also replaced most of the bolts with ti as I'm not keen on the rusty look. The only thing left to change is the post clamp. Weight now is a respectable 22.01lbs.

End result is I'm really happy with it. Its reliable, light and hasn't cost the earth, and it was probably made by a bloke that was paid a reasonable wage.

Spec:

Frame: Badboy Ultra
Fork: Badboy Ultra Headshok

Headset: Cannondale 1.5 Si
Stem: Cannondale Headshok
Bars: Answer Hyperlite
Grips: Cannnondale Foam

Shifters: Shimano XT M770
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT M770
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT M770
Gear Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano XT M770 9-Speed