Hercules 1998 Titanium MTB - Searching for information

MTBer

Retro Newbie
Hello all,

This is my first post, so bear with me.
I have been searching for some information on my 1998/1999 titanium-framed Hercules mountain bike for a while now, even within Retrobike, but without success so I am hoping that someone here knows something about the model, where it came from, exact model year, catalog?...

I have it since new (from my father) and it was bought in Asia. It came with and still has Shimano STX-RC 1998 components all around and RST 381R forks. The titanium frame has a "Hercules Cycle & Motor Co. - Nottingham, England" badge up front, so I don't think it was made in India as some later and current Hercules models (from what I read these would come with a "HC&M Co - India" badge?). It does have a "Made in Macau" sticker... Only modification done so far was a more comfy seat.

Looking forward for some substantial upgrades!

Any info or comments?

Cheers!

Attachments

• DSCN4692.jpg
    DSCN4692.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 4,284
  • DSCN4740.jpg
    DSCN4740.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 4,277
  • DSCN4803.jpg
    DSCN4803.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 4,280
Nice bike. It appears to be a Raleigh RSP or Torus which were also made in Nottingham and I'm guessing Hercules is probably a Raleigh overseas brand. Check out the RSP in my signature and you'll see that the frames are identical. If you want more info then its probably best to ask on the Raleigh appreciation thread in MTB chat as there some former factory workers there who can probably shed more light on this :cool:

Edit: I've just noticed the dropouts on mine are cut out but your ones are solid, but still the same overall shape, and mine has a wishbone seat stay where yours has conventional stays. I'm still 99.9% certain that this was made in the Raleigh factory though. Maybe earlier Raleigh frames also had the same features? The tapered tubes for the chain stays are a giveaway as you never see these on other ti frames. I think Raleigh were one of the few to build a ti frame using custom drawn tubes and majority of ti builders just use off the shelf tubing intended for aerospace use.

Thank you for your comments, Fudd!

Indeed, this frame is similar but not identical to the RSP, as you can see from the following picture showing the rear part of the frame.

Top frame tube and seat post frame tube are 31,8 mm, down tube is 35mm. Chain stay tubes are tapered 15mm to 20mm, and upper rear frame tubes are 15mm. This seems to be a very light frame with a not-so-fat cross section overall.

Thanks again, I hope I can find out a bit more.

Attachments

• 20130604_080453.jpg
    20130604_080453.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 4,189
What do you know, I found my bicycle's catalog while emptying the garage the other day! So now I know the model number, associated "make" and specifications. As it has Shimano 1998 equipment, I would say the bike is from that or the next year. So here is what I got:

Manufacturer: Kam Wan Bicycles Factory Limited (Macau)

Model: HM-TI-02

Specifications:
•Frame set:
◦Sizes: 16.0", 18.0", 20.0"
◦Frame: titanium arc welded over size tubings
◦Fork: RST-380 R suspension 76.20mm travel fork
◦Headset: YST CS 558 an alloy
•Gear kits:
◦Crankset: Shimano STX. RC 42/32/22T
◦Bottom bracket: Shimano STX
◦Front derailleur: Shimano STX. RC
◦Rear derailleur: Shimano deore LX
◦Shift levers: Shimano deore LX
◦Cog set: Shimano STX. RC 8-speed
◦Chain: SS 82
•Wheels:
◦Hubset: Shimano STX RC front & rear
◦Spokes: 14 gauge stainless
◦Rims: FL-2018 D double wall, 32-H alloy
◦Tires: 26" x 2.1" front K 877 rear K 887 WO
•Other components:
◦Brakes: Shimano deore LX. V-brake alloy
◦Brake levers: Shimano deore LX alloy
◦Pedals: WPD-800 alloy
◦Handlebar: MTB-AL-153 has alloy
◦Bar ends: MT-55 A has alloy
◦Grips: VLG-031 A rubber twotune
◦Stem: MTS-48 has alloy
◦Seatpost: SP-35, alloy
◦Saddle: VL-335 B18, black leather cover, titanium rail

So my guess is, the Titanium frame was supplied either by Raleigh or Hercules and the complete bike was assembled in Macau by Kam Wan...

If anybody is interested in the related catalog for any reason I have it in PDF format.

What do you guys think?

I'd love to see the PDF if you wouldn't mind! I came across a whole showroom full of Hercules titanium bikes in Macao in 1999 or 2000 and thought they were great value. I'd just bought a new Cannondale, so didn't buy one... and have spent the last twelve years wondering about them! The only information I've found was from someone selling one in NZ a couple of years back.

Many thanks in advance!

Re: Hercules 1998 Titanium MTB

redman":rto8awd9 said:
I'd still love to see that PDF if it's handy ;)

Thank you for reviving this topic. My bike is now a work in progress with improved 1998s gear, will post it here when complete.
Apparently I am not allowed to post .pdf files, please send me your email in PM and I will share it with you.

Cheers!

Re:

Hello MTBer,

That's a nice surprise - the tab has been open on my phone since February, but I hadn't seen your reply. My apologies.

Retrobike won't allow me to send you a PM until I have five posts, so I'll risk just putting my email here: redmansimon@gmail.com. I would still love to see the PDF, and indeed the completed bike when it's done.

I saw the Hercules on a visa run to Macau from Hong Kong in 2000. I'd just bought a Cannondale CAAD2, so I wasn't really in the market. But I came across a showroom on a crossroads with a load of them at different spec levels. I got the impression that it wasn't a 'proper' bike shop. There seemed to be nothing permanent about it, and there wasn't much in the way of components, accessories etc. - just the bikes. The salesman gave the impression of being a young university student, very smartly dressed in a jacket and tie. He was very happy for me to take the bike for a quick spin.

I was impressed by the weight, and the spec level was as good as my C'dale - but the Hercules was cheaper! So that started me off on a quest for years, trying to find a reasonably priced titanium hardtail in Indonesia, where I was living. All I could find there was the usual suspects at $7000. It took so long that several affordable brands came and then went out of business, but eventually a Van Nicholas turned up just outside Jakarta in 2012.

Anyway, probably a bit more information than you want, but just a bit of background. I'll be delighted to see the PDF!

Many thanks.

Re:

Incidentally, I've just discovered the business card STILL in my wallet - some 21 years later. Looks like it was a direct factory outlet shop. I wonder if this is where your father bought his?

Attachments

• 15980153060883812977230617716790.jpg
    15980153060883812977230617716790.jpg
    991.2 KB · Views: 2,128
  • 15980154128187278915338595389841.jpg
    15980154128187278915338595389841.jpg
    928.2 KB · Views: 2,127
Back