Kona Hahanna '98

RichCollinsUK

Devout Dirtbag
It's taken me longer than expected, but the bike has been completed, and I took it out for its maiden voyage in its current form! It's been about 12 years since I was out mountain biking, as I've only ridden road since. It was an absolute BLAST! I did some technical singletrack, punching way above my weight! Luckily for me I came out unscathed. Unfortunately the wheels I got from the forum here, are not true. The guys at my LBS tried everything but some of the nipples are corroded and kept snapping. The only options are a rebuild, or a new set. I'll ride these until they implode and then I'll consider my options again.

BEFORE:
xzVA1Pu.jpg

AFTER:

2013-09-02 12.17.06 by Richard D. Collins, on Flickr

2013-09-02 12.17.15 by Richard D. Collins, on Flickr

2013-09-02 12.05.08 by Richard D. Collins, on Flickr

RichCollinsUK":11y4ksnj said:
Guess it's not that interesting to you guys!
I like it Rich :cool:

It's quite understated (which is a good thing)

Looks to be a decent spec on it as well, how are the forks? Never owned a set of Fox, hear very mixed things about them.

So long as you're enjoying it that's all that matters :D

superstu":25b9we55 said:
RichCollinsUK":25b9we55 said:
I like it Rich :cool:

It's quite understated (which is a good thing)

Looks to be a decent spec on it as well, how are the forks? Never owned a set of Fox, hear very mixed things about them.

So long as you're enjoying it that's all that matters :D

Cheers Stu!

I did try and keep it understated, and I went for some affordably good spec kit.

The Fox Forx are good, very plush so the lockout is a welcome feature! They're a tad squeeky under full compression, which is a little annoying. They're light and extremely well made.

The bike handles really well for what it is, and I love a good steel frame. I took on some pretty rugged singletrack at Kilvey Hill in Swansea.

I'm glad I built her up as she compliments my CycloCross bike nicely. I'm more of a road guy, and wanted to get back in the mud, so a couple of hundred (about £230) in total restoring an old Kona is better for me as I can save my money towards a full carbon road bike in the near future!

RichCollinsUK":2tgyqgs2 said:

Never noticed you post this up.. Sorry!

I have one of these in the fleet for the older lad.
Looking for a retro bike for him that will last and has some style and a Hahanna came up on Ebay. He likes it and so do I :)

Nice Rich. Came on a treat that. you should re edit your first post to add those first pics when you had it under the sheet in the garden. Really show off the subtle, but serious refurb this has actually had. Xt and fox forks are a far cry from Hannah original spec :cool:

dablk":3qisly8y said:
Nice Rich. Came on a treat that. you should re edit your first post to add those first pics when you had it under the sheet in the garden. Really show off the subtle, but serious refurb this has actually had. Xt and fox forks are a far cry from Hannah original spec :cool:

That's a good idea! It is definitely a subtle change, but the parts make a huge difference. This wil be a 'knock about' bike for me to cater for my desire for a bit of wilderness.

I would rather put my money towards other things (a Planet X Pro Carbon, or a Genesis Equilibrium 2014 :shock: :LOL: :roll: ), so I'm satisfied for now... Maybe that will change in the future, perhaps i'll look towards a more advanced Retrobike build... full sus maybe?

Thanks for all the input from anyone who has contributed!

Back