Since I decided the Yeti http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;start=30
wasn't for me, I had a bit of a search around for a replacement. Trawling ebay, singletrack and other forums, I decided I wanted another titanium frame. Part of the reason for losing interest in the Yeti was the paint. The black seemed so delicate, and there was no way of refinishing it myself, if it needed to be reprinted after a couple of years use I would have to go to a specialist who can refurbish carbon fibre frames. Not as simple as paint stripper and powder coat.....
Having two Merlins at the moment, I knew how easy a titanium frame is to keep clean, so decided to look out for a 29er to join them.
After stripping the Yeti and cleaning/servicing anything that needed doing, the new frame arrived and I built her up.
The seatpost is a different size, as is the front mech. So these are new. The top headset cup transferred over from the Yeti, and the parts bin supplied a matching lower cup. The pic above was from the initial ride home from work while I got the fit adjusted.
After the first ride proper I decided that 2x10 wasn't enough gears for me, I knew this when I had the Yeti but the Lynskey cemented the idea.
After a few rides I gave her a clean and took some better pics.
The cranks are the Gucci ones with the ti axle
The welds are pretty good, certainly as good as my Oreas, but not as good as my 96 Mountain.
And the bike as it is now, ready to ride.
I smile every time I see it, which I don't remember doing to the yeti. And in the company of the other bikes I am sure she feels at home.