Specialized Rockhopper FSR A1 Comp 2000 (update)

thamightyboro

Retro Newbie
Little project I started to work on a year or so ago when I found the frame on ebay, I had the Rockhopper back in the day and loved it but it got stolen circa 2003.

462796_10150658825412972_310011859_o.jpg
as I bought her the manitous where shot but I had a set of good old Suntour triple DC90s that a mechanic pal had converted to 120mm travel around 2006. Initially just banged them on and had a bit of fun on her but the lack of discs and the tired look of her got me beginning to toy with her. A fair few hours work and trawling ebay/pinkbike for deals and heres the finished product.

She rides like a dream still especially seeing as thats the original Fox Vanilla R on her.

stripped and painted, new bushings/bearings, new wheels, a2z disk brake mount, avid juicy 3's, 180mm rotors, stripped her to a single chainring with bash and tensioner, original deore xt rear derail, Suntour dc90 triples (converted to 120mm travel), new headset, stem, bars, new sram 9 speed cassette, chainring and chain.

looking out for a set of 888's, judys from the 2000-2003 time period but not having much luck as yet few I have seen havent been serviced in near a decade so a bit risky could get expensive and fast.

Decals done by Dirty Customs on ebay there is a pinstripe suntour one on the forks as well that you can't see in the light.

Had her out for a few mile earlier today and the guys I bike with didnt believe it was a Specialized such did this frame spawn a million Reeboks, silver fox, land rover etc then when I showed them the pics they were in a bit disbelief that it was even the same bike.

981882_10151608918942972_1586065995_o.jpg

Like the modern parts, prefer single crown forks though. Is the frame OK for that length travel, would be worried the headtube would be ripped out.

Sorry to be negative but gutted your resprayed that, original colour and decals looked, to me, far superior.

Glad you are enjoying it and given its new lease of life.

I agree on the decals sadly the picture doesnt quite show how bad they where, blistered and flaking when it come to removal it took about 2 scrubs with a scouring sponge and they where gone :( wish I had got more pics of it or that more pics where out there so I could have the guy who did the decals for me replicate the originals.

In terms of travel I've seen a rockhopper running 10" of fox on the front with the MAX rear link and pounded for years the frame is a heavy beast but bombproof confident it can take this small increase

Fair enough, those original decals should be easy enough to replicate, big solid colour behind, might be worth a search on here and asking another owner to take some pics and the contacting your decal guy.

10" front is mental. Weren't these designed around 3" travel?

Yeah 3" on the manitou's it can handle 4-5 even 6 easily though but any higher and the geometry begins to look weird without converting to the max link and still just doesnt look right to me I wouldnt feel safe on it.

as for the forks keep watching ebay for a set of fox's that arent going to break the bank 120mm single crown white nothing as yet though this just gets XC/AM use.

Well the bad news is 4 years of waiting and a month of work is completely down the tube as shed was broken into Sunday early AM and the bike taken horrible scroats that people are. Can't help but feel was targeted for her by one of the local scroats as far too coincidental that the week I complete her and start getting out on her my sheds bust into having never had any bother in the 11 years I've lived here. Devastated to say the least, yes I'm insured but doesnt stop it feeling like a death has occurred in the family.

Sorry to hear about the shitty news, it's always worse when it's something you've put time, effort and thought into. I really liked what you'd done too.

Good luck for the next build!

Re:

Hi, how did you get the rear disc mounted, I have this exact same frame and there is no rear mount points for disc calipers?

Cheers.

Re: Re:

This how I brought it off e-bay basically standard... £115.00... Bargain...
ROCKHOPPER
FSR
COMP
XL FRAME

Attachments

• edited_FB_IMG_1459465669606.jpg
    edited_FB_IMG_1459465669606.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,757
Back