Bontrager Race XXL - Pink!

rolondo

Dirt Disciple
So here's the thing...

I've always loved Bontragers. When I first really got in to mountain biking there was just something about them that i loved. The problem was - they really didn't fit. I didn't discover Bontrager until the Privateers were the norm rather than the exception, and the XL's just didn't fit my 6'2 height. And believe me - I tried. I've owned two at one point or another, and both times it only led to frustration and sadness. Recently I came across a XXl Race locally here in Dallas that needed a little bit of love and attention. With the help of a local Powder Coat Guy and Gill (who is AMAZING!) on the decals - this is where I am at this point.

I will never be have the money or patience to restore something to spec - and I tend to like bright colors. For the purists - please forgive. For those who appreciate a little creativity - enjoy. I'll update as I go along. Not sure if I will single speed it or 1x9 it. I will probably find a true 1" stem at some point, but for now the Thomson will have to do. It will be a more modern build, obviously.

I totally screwed up the top sticker, but I really think I like it without it. It has a more minimalist look.

Personally I think she looks great, congratulations in following your own path..

Ps: I'm 6 2" and I use to ride a large OR

Awesome! Not sure how you did. I always felt like I was going to fall over the front handlebar on smaller bikes. But very cool none the less. :)

rolondo":23g1u0fw said:
Awesome! Not sure how you did. I always felt like I was going to fall over the front handlebar on smaller bikes. But very cool none the less. :)

Well for sure my grips where about 6"/7" lower than the saddle and the seat post was showing a lot more than yours..

Ps: I'm just getting used to ride with the grips at the same height as the seat (thanks to my fatbike) and I have to say I like it a lot..

Wow, you must make up most of your height in your upper body if you need to ride a frame that long with a saddle that low. Build is looking good, color scheme really works!

I think part of the issue is that I'm used to more modern bikes that are suspension corrected. The bike I ride the most is a Santa Cruz Chameleon with a 130 Magura up front, so as you might imagine the front sits way higher than the back. I also like a longer top tube. One of the ideas I'm considering is more of a "gravel grinder" approach, and yes, I realize that term is over used these days. But maybe the geometry of the frame allows for a drop bar configuration? Regardless, I do feel like I have more options with the XXL frame than I did with the smaller one. Honestly, I think that's part of the reason why I posted this, which is to get some perspective on how to proceed.

shogun":2slyud3f said:
Probably would work for a drop bar setup yeah.

"trials" stems and tall, cheap and plentiful.
IMG_0874-M.jpg

Ps: San Francisco in the background

I'm such a girl (much to my wife's dismay) but if I do a drop bar setup, then I need to do the pink handlebar wrap, and I'm guessing I'd go 1x9 with a pink SRAM PG 990 cassette.

The bike is intended (somewhat) to be a tribute to my mom being a breast cancer survivor. And...let's be honest...I like boobs. My wife understands. Hence the pink.

Latest posts

Back