4..5..6..C

Barneyballbags

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
When this came up for sale, it triggered memories of my long since departed (at the hands of a scummy bike thief) GT Zaskar Carbon 4X. The more I thought about it, the more tempted I got to buy it and build it..

So, the Cove Hustler frame has unfortunately gone now :( - I hate only being able to have 1 bike at a time! Still, the loss of the Cove means that this is now on it's way to me via the nice people at UPS (and Russell, of course!).

IMAG0421.jpg

Here's the build sheet:

Frame: On One 456 Carbon 16"
Forks: Magura Menja 130s, White
Headset: Hope

Stem: Crank Brothers Cobalt, Black
Bars: Crank Brothers Cobalt, Black
Seatpost: On One Twelfty, Black
Seatclamp: Hope, Silver
Saddle: Charge Spoon, White

Hubs: Hope Pro 3 SP, Gunmetal
Rims: DT XR 4.20
Tyres: Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25, Black/White
QRs: Planet X Titanium, Black

Brakes: Hope Mini 180/160

Cranks: KCNC Silverbones K-Type (22/32)
Bashguard: Blackspire, white
BB: KCNC K-Type

Rear Mech: XT M771 Shadow, Medium Cage
Cassette: XT M770 9spd
Chain: SRAM something or other(!)
Shifter: XT M770 9spd
Grips: Clarks Lock On, White/Red

Should be pretty light and I can't wait to get it built, especially as my riding buddy (Logic.Al) has just gone and got himself a Carbon HT too (albeit for MUCH more of a bargain than mine!)

Build pics to follow next week. I've got all the parts ready to go on. I'm just waiting for the frame :)

Hmmm... I would be very wary of putting ISIS on anything.. I've had two bikes with it & the damn things never stay tight & creak like an old floorboard!

1) If you've got an alternative, I'd consider it, unless...
2) You have solved the problems above - in which case, I'm, all ears! ;)

I recently acquired an On-One Scandal in 16", and love it - goes like hell, and Magura's are the business.. Looks like it will be a very nice ride! I assume you're going for the Stormtrooper look..? ;)

Osella":33f3mr6c said:
Hmmm... I would be very wary of putting ISIS on anything.. I'va had two bikes with it & the damn things never stay tight & creak like an old floorboard!

1) If you'va got an alternative, I'd consider it, unless...

I think I might have a solution in the shape of a rather nice pair of KCNC cranks. Watch this space ;)

Oooh.. I'm quite a fan of Ken's work.. ;)

I did swap out my Raceface ISIS BB for a Truvativ and did find that it was a little better - but I did also have a Scandium KCNC ISIS BB on another frame and it was a complete nightmare!

These are the cranks. They're KCNC Silverbones, which means nothing to me! They also have a matching KCNC bottom bracket.

So, these or a set of silver Turbines?

20120724_140017-1_1_zpsbe5f4959.jpg

Hmmm, nice! ;) I'd match those with a non-KCNC BB and see if you could get hold of some nice TA or Aerozine rings.. budget permitting. If not, BBB chainrings are frankly awesome.

I think aesthetically, black cranks would go better with the whole Black/white look the rest of the components suggest.

Osella":zbxjzfut said:
Hmmm, nice! ;) I'd match those with a non-KCNC BB and see if you could get hold of some nice TA or Aerozine rings.. budget permitting. If not, BBB chainrings are frankly awesome.

I think aesthetically, black cranks would go better with the whole Black/white look the rest of the components suggest.

I'm going to fit the KCNC cranks, and I'll use the existing middle/granny rings until they wear out. I'm replacing the outer ring with a Blackspire bashguard in white to match the saddle, grips and sides of the tyres (because I'm a tart!).

OK, so I was a bit bored, so I figured I'd go and pull all the bits out of the shed and do a bit of a sneak preview of what I have waiting to bolt to the frame when it gets here:

Forks:

Cranks (I have the matching KCNC Bottom Bracket but I haven't cleaned it yet :oops: ):

Wheels:

Anchors:

Mech (I also have the M770 front mech but haven't cleaned that either :oops: ):

Bars/Stem/Shifters:

Perch and Post:

Because I'm going to be running a 2 x 9 setup, I will be ditching the outer ring in favour of one of these, which turned up this morning (in White/Black, naturally!):

C4_White_web.jpg

Back