Ugly San Andreas

Totoro

Retro Guru
I have just bought a used Mountain Cycle San Andreas from my local bike shop. As it was for sale from a shop I thought it would have been serviced but as it is the gears are set up so badly that I couldn't even ride it home. It has only had one owner before me and it has never been off road! Still its getting on a bit now and its looking rather tatty.

I'll get the tripod out later and take some pictures.

The forks say - Marzocchi Bomber Dirt Jumper III

Bar stem says - Answer Atac Pro

Bars - Titec EL Norte IV

Brakes - Promax

Gears - Shimano Deore mega a DT

Front gearing - Stronglight RPM Comp dia. 104
44T 7075

Pedals - Wellgo

Rear shock - X Fusion 02RPV

Seat - SDG Kona

Seat Stem - XTASY

Does that list tell anybody what year it is or has the last owner changed some parts?

Thanks for reading, I'm a noob as you can tell.

mikee":3hhg01z6 said:
Sounds like a right lash up

Good start for a project tho

Welcome

Mike

Thanks for the welcome.

I will take some pictures later and post them up. The bike is going for a service tomorrow, I'm going to get some advice while I'm there about what to do with it.

looks like a real tough bike but even without riding it I can see things I don't like and look like hassle, the cables have been eating into the frame :evil:

Hope this works, I have attached the images as files because I don't use any online photo sharing sites.

Also I have been told the bike is a 2005 model but the classic version. I guess its still retro as it doesn't look that different to the older ones.

zetecmk2":21tsyuhz said:
how we love a san an!!! nice!!

I think I may feel a project coming along :facepalm:

I've seen some nice examples on the web

EDIT: So what about the parts then, am I going to have to Google everything or is somebody going to tell me what I can get away with keeping and what is junk?

agreed, nothing wrong with that set up, if you were trying to do a period rebuild it wants some badass triple crowns like boxxers or monster t's but honestly, that looks so sweet as it is you need to shred the ass out of it.
My friend had one in the 90's and im racking my brain to remember his spec. this is the catalogue from 97 with one which looks like it has boxxers fitted and another with usd forks.
man i love these bikes
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/9 ... alogue.pdf

Thanks for the replies, makes me feel a bit better about it :)

I'll see what they say about it at the shop, I did buy it just to ride but the more I see them in other post the more I want to try to make it a little less tatty.
If it needs lots if work/parts then I'll probably strip it down and turn it into a project. I've got a very nice Orbea hard tail that is my main ride anyway so I could live with it in bits for a while.

Back