I have recently decided to return my 1999 Kona Cindercone to its former glory.....and add some upgrades along the way!Job to do
1. Replace rusty front wheel
2. Degrease and service all components
3. Obtain and install new grips
4. Fit remote fork locking control to handlebars
5. New tubes and tyres
6. Chop off all old fittings (bike locks, lights etc) bolts are rusty - hacksaw required!Considerations
1. Upgrade V brakes to hydraulic or disc (ADVICE REQUIRED.....)
3. Replace decals??
So that's about it, i have owned the bike from new but in the last few years it has been left out in the elements, exposed to sea air and prying eyes..... I think it is in fantastic condition considering its recent history.
I serviced the bike, replaced all the cables, tried to clean the rust of the rear wheel but it disintegrated in my hand, replaced the after market front forks (manitou Z1 sx) with a great set of Rock Shox Reba sourced from eBay and replaced the weld repaired seat post.
I would like to thank the guy on the commuter bike (Aberdeen Wednesday 12th June 2013) who, at a set of traffic lights snorted and laughed out loud at my bike, for kicking my ass in to gear to finally restore my bike...... and apologise to him for completely smoking him off the lights and leaving him in a ploom of old school Kona dust, grease and loose components
Advice and suggestions will be very much appreciated, hopefully pics to follow.