On-One Lurcher high end build, AKA a series of firsts...

jonXmack

Retrobike Rider
I probably should have started this thread a few weeks ago when the project got underway, but not being a regular here I didn't think to, so it's only now I'm starting the thread.

This project started at Mayhem a few weeks ago. While riding with the RB crew was great, I couldn't help but notice everyone that kept passing me were on 29ers. This sparked a fire inside me, and as soon as I got home I started thinking about what I might be able to build.

The first plan was to go super stripped down SS. High end, super clean, super light. This plan was ruined after I realised that there were only a few racey frames with horizontal dropouts that were in my price range. I also wanted the possibility of going geared in the future, so something with swappable dropouts (or horizontals with a hanger) was needed. This is exactly what I found in the On-One.

Unfortunately that all changed when I realised that On-One had recently put the Lurcher on sale, so there were no horizontal dropouts in stock, with no ETA. So I bit the bullet and decided to build it up geared from the get go.

The intention was always to build it up with the main bits as new parts (frame, forks, wheels, brakes) but drivetrain second hand if I could find it. I couldn't. So the cranks were bought new, the shifters were bought new, the rear mech was from eBay and the cassette from the old bike. The finishing kit was bought second hand, and although initially I built it up with a standard seatpost, I saw a good deal on a brand new second hand Reverb, so I splashed some cash on that.

Anyway enough chat, pictures and spec time.

368450c0e47f11e2b8cc22000a1d2017_7.jpg

What I started with.

ffb626b4e5a911e2b88d22000a1fd1dd_7.jpg

What it became after 2 evenings in the garage.

c0ac52d2e75611e2be6b22000aa80214_7.jpg

An hour at the weekend turned it into this

1a1d4d0ce8de11e2be5222000a1fafb5_7.jpg

And this was last night.

Frame On One Lurcher
Forks Niner
Headset Hope
Bars Answer ProTaper
Stem Thomson
Grips ESI Extra Chunky
Front Brake Hope Stealth Tech X2 EVO
Front Rotor Hope Floating Rotor
Front Shifter SRAM XX
Front Rim Stans ZTR Crest
Front Spokes Sapim Race
Front Hub Hope Pro2 EVO
Front QR Halo
Front Tyre Rocket Ron Evolution
Seatpost Rock Shox Reverb
Seat clamp Hope
Seat Boardman
BB SRAM BB92 GXP Pressfit
Cranks Sram XX1
Chainring Sram XX1
Chain Connex 10S8
Pedals Time ATAC
Rear Brake Hope Stealth Tech X2 EVO
Rear Rotor Hope Floating Rotor
Rear Rim Stans ZTR Crest
Rear Spokes Sapim Race
Rear Hub Hope Pro2 EVO
Rear QR Halo
Rear Tyre Rocket Ron Evolution
Cassette PG1050
Mech Sram X0

All in all it comes in at just over 9kg with the dropper post.

I hope you like the build, I took it out last night and absolutely loved it, can't wait to get out on it again which will probably be tonight. The bar height needs tweaking, but that will be done ride by ride until I am happy with it.

Oh and the reason it's a series of firsts. It's my first 29er, first build where I've spared no expense, my first carbon MTB as well as my first high end MTB build.

And as the back up crew on last nights ride, I can tell you, it's bl**dy quick...... everywhere. :twisted:

I appreciate it's for positioning, and your back, but with the stem slammed it would look evil! that aside, fantastic looking machine with lovely curves, shame I'm too short!

Agreed! Bar height is a work in progress at the moment, I was going to tweak it last night but ended up going out and setting PB's on every segment I rode in the woods so may have to reconsider...

Back