Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:11 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:58 pm 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

Looks like a great frame, must resist looking at prices online...

You know you want black forks though :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:11 pm 
Retro Guru

Cheers mate.

The good news is that they're sold out until September, which should quell any temptation.

I quite like my poo brown Fox forms and whilst they keep worke well they won't be going aanywhere. I did think about some white Floats with Kashimar stanchions...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:33 pm 
Gold Trader / rb Rider / Special

I agree, some white x fusions would look great on that. Or even bos!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:16 pm 
Retro Guru

I think I'll be buying X Fusion wen my 36's die. They seem to be getting really good reviews in the press and from people who actually own them. The prices are boardering on realistic too, unlike Fox.

Lyrik's seem popular but I don't really get on with Rock Shox; I find that the suspension action feels artificial. I can't really explain it any better than that. The Transition that I demo'd had a pair on the front and I was pretty underwhelmed. They're big and stiff but I didn't think they were hat supple despite me letting a lot if air out of them. I still think you can't beat a good set of coil forks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:43 pm 

Guess youd be looking for a vengeance then? I kind of understand what you mean about the rock shox air fork, not completely though. Maybe it just needed more setup time but that's not really going to change your mind.

Supposedly dual air is getting very close to feeling like a coil. Bos forks are nice but will cost you a house!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:16 pm 
Retro Guru

A pair of Vengance are well up on the list. How are you getting on with yours?

I've never quite gelled with RS forks, not sure why. I never really lied my Pikes either yet everyone else seemed to love them. I was the same with Boxxers, never quite got them and preferred 888's.

Bos are ace, but probably a bit OTT for me. They sell for sensible money second hand though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:49 am 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

Just to add, I've got coil RS lyriks on one bike and coil RS sektors on another, both work great. I won't go near an air fork (or rear shock).
And props to you for sticking with the poo brown fox forks if they work - one of my pet hates is people swapping out perfectly good kit for alternative because it looks better (unless its a retro bike that is - which is one of the reasons I like retrobikes - its an excuse to do stuff like that wothout feeling guilty).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:44 pm 
Retro Guru

stevet1 wrote:
Just to add, I've got coil RS lyriks on one bike and coil RS sektors on another, both work great. I won't go near an air fork (or rear shock).
And props to you for sticking with the poo brown fox forks if they work - one of my pet hates is people swapping out perfectly good kit for alternative because it looks better (unless its a retro bike that is - which is one of the reasons I like retrobikes - its an excuse to do stuff like that wothout feeling guilty).

Most people seem to really like RS products, I just can't gel with them and can't really put my finger on it. I guess I'm in the minority somewhat.

I'm not convinced either yet by air forks; no matter what people say, coil forks are smoother. I like Marzocchi's approach where they combine the two, because the air pressures needed to add preload are so small, you retain the feel of coil forks.

My 36's may be old but they work really well. They're still on their original stanchions despite all the horror stories on the net and they only get serviced once a year. They've been tuned slightly to provide more support in the mid stroke but are still very supple and quite light. The colour is a bit odd, but I quite like them.

Off to Scotland next week and can't wait to try the bike out on some bigger trails.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:05 pm 
Retro Guru

I had a go on one of these today!.... My mates shop has one built up with BOS suspension, shimano Zee & chromag finishing kit as a demo! I couldn't get off it, instead I just kept doing manuals up and down the road outside the shop! It felt bloody perfect!! It was a medium, but there was plenty of space in the cockpit! Loved it!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:28 pm 
Retro Guru

They do seem to ride well. That demo one sounds well pimp with the BOS suspension.

I'm in Peebles at the moment and can't wait to get to Glentress tomorrow morning.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next