Soma B-Side 650b singlespeed

Arran

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Took my newly finished Soma B-Side out for it's first ride today & have to say that it was awesome! Nimble, light, agile. No toe rub, snappy acceleration. Wicked...

Frame: Soma B-Side 16.5". Tange Prestige Cr-mo with Tange/IRD sliding dropouts
Fork: eXotic 445mm alloy rigid
Headset: King gold anodized
Stem: Zipp Service Course SL 90mm
Bars: Custom Ti 31.8 x 700, 6 deg sweep
Pillar: Custom Ti 27.2 x 400mm, 30mm setback
Saddle: Specialized Ti
Brakes: M975 XTR w/Controltech blue hose kit, 6" rotors
Cranks: M970 XTR 175 w/34t DXR ring
B/B: GUB Ceramic gold anodized
Chain: CN7900 10sp
Pedals: M540
Rear sprocket: DXR 17t
Hubs: XT
Skewers: Custom Ti windups
Spokes: DT Competition black
Rims: WTB Frequency i23 650b
Tyres: Kenda Karma 27.5 x 2.0
Tubes: Kenda 27.5 x 2
Weight (as pictured): 9.8kg

That looks really nice :cool: What are thoughts on the 650B set up?

Unlike a 29er, it took almost no time to adapt but you can definitely feel the rolling & 'suspension' benefits of the bigger hoops. 10 minutes in & I felt right at home.

The frame itself took a little getting used to as it's so flexy in the front end it has a sort of 'fuzzy' connection between the saddle & the bars but you get used to it & it actually becomes a positive part of the ride (as long as you don't mash on the bike...).

Nice!
Looks like a fun bike with good kit. (bar the rear qr is that home made? haha)
Think I'll end up on a 650 in the near future, seems like they have solved some of the 29er issues with the smaller wheels but have all the benefits that 29ers should have in theory.
How do you go with tyre choice? I know when 29er's started out it was slim pickings until the big brands got in the game.

Nice looking build, the seat post looks really nice as do the skewers. I'm really happy with my 29er's so not sure 650b is for me , but I know people who love them.
Arran":1i4h4qjh said:
The frame itself took a little getting used to as it's so flexy in the front end it has a sort of 'fuzzy' connection between the saddle & the bars but you get used to it & it actually becomes a positive part of the ride (as long as you don't mash on the bike...).

What do you put the flex and fuzziness down to ?

13":3o1yafr8 said:
...How do you go with tyre choice? I know when 29er's started out it was slim pickings until the big brands got in the game.

Good question. Seeing as this is an XC rig & most 650b/27.5ers at the moment are ~150mm travel 'all mountain' ( :roll: ) bikes, the majority of the choices on offer seem to be in the 2.3" range. I tossed up between the Kenda Nevegal 2.1 & the Kenda Karma 2.0. I have plenty of miles on both. I went for the 2.0 Karmas & am glad I did. They seem to be baggier than an equivalent 26" tyre due to the extra sidewall height.

theredchili":3o1yafr8 said:
What do you put the flex and fuzziness down to ?

The pillar & bars are there to soften up the ride but they don't contribute to the 'fuzzy' feel (beyond the 700mm wide bars providing lots of torsional flexing leverage). The frame has a nice, stiff rear triangle but the top & down tubes are tiny & really light gauge. Consequently you can easily flex the head tube 20+mm either side of centre when seated on the bike. It's somewhat disconcerting at first but with a small adaption to out-of-the-saddle riding & time in the saddle it just becomes part of the ride.

Back