Scott Strike G-Zero Team Issue 2003

besam

Retro Guru
So I built this up finally a month ago and have been loving it - my first full sus.

Now I have discovered that the rear is cracked in 2 places - I probably rode it too hard - it is a 'superlight' frame after all, and 'team issue' which usually means 'falls apart after less than a year'!

Anyway, here are some pics of how it was, taken on the South Dawns around Brighton..
Its my highest spec build so far - details after the pictures.

8677471203_fc4f613120_b.jpg

8677469277_2c9ba0b137_b.jpg

8677470143_a64f752d85_c.jpg

8678581992_fc2d8ab9a5_c.jpg

8677479723_632ccb794e_c.jpg

8677482261_2207b5dd0d_z.jpg

The frame weighs about 1900g but I haven't actually tried on propper scales yet. I think that is one of the lightest full sus frames of its time - wonder how heavy the lightweight full sus. frames of today are?

Anyway - the build:

Wheels - Hope Ti on Syncros Altrax XLT
Tyres - Panaracer Fire XT Pro 2.1

Front Shock - Rock Shox Psylo Race 2002
Rear Shock - Fox Float RL 2003

Brakes - Hayes Stroker Carbon
Rear Mech - XT Shadow
Front - XT
Shifters - LX

Bars - USE Atom
Stem - Truvative XR
Grips - ODI

Cranks - Race Face Atlas AM
BB - Enduro

Seatpost - GUB
Saddle - Club Roost

I have potentially found a replacement rear swingarm but it is from a Medium framed plain G-Zero - mine is a 17.5". I'm guessing I will just put up with the slightly longer wheelbase - unless it is only maintubes which change? - Pretty sure they would change length of swingarm through the sizes too though..

Hope you like it - or liked it :(

PS: Anyone know how I would remove the swingarm - the pinch-bolts on the pivot are all I can figure out - do I need to hammer something?!

8678610460_4278ccd019_z.jpg

8678609280_0e3024576a_z.jpg

Hi - I've had a couple of these (love them) I actually sold a Scott spark 20 as I preferred my old strike.. Ive got 2 currently, one of mine cracked on the rear arm either side of where the rear shock bolts through. I had it welded without taking the rear arm off (which is a bit of a mare....) cost about £30 to repair it....

Thinking of selling one or both of mine now though as I'm not using it much :facepalm:

I had a G-zero frame and sold the rear a few years ago. I asked the guy I sold it to if he knew how to get the back end off. By the timer he replied I'd cut it off and sent it with part of the main frame :twisted:
(the main frame was wrecked before I cut it btw)

Hi there

I have a Stike G-Zero too. Am about to send the carbon frame off to have it repaired but not sure how to remove the swing arm too. Any ideas?

besam":3awlksdz said:
So I built this up finally a month ago and have been loving it - my first full sus.

Now I have discovered that the rear is cracked in 2 places - I probably rode it too hard -

Then don't go to those places!!!

re: swingarm removal - looks like you need to undo the pinchbolts then the tube gets drifted out is my guess. You can put in a large screwdriver or other implement in the gap to open up the clamp so it is loose on the tube - same as you would do with stubborn seat tubes and stems - but not too much as you don't want to fracture it,

Re:

I had two of these frames the team edition and a standard one. 12 year old carbon went pop one day when I was putting 600watts of power through the crank. I think it had been crashed though. It is a shame I didn't see your post a while back as my friend has this bike and a full functional swingarm.

To remove the rear swingarm you need to remove the pinch bolts.. Don't pry them as they might snap. Carefully put the frame on the floor and get a long socket the same size as the metal and bang the socket and axle through. I managed this and replaced the seized bearings at the same time.

The bike rode really well after that... I wouldn't ever try to repair a broken carbon frame - that's a bin job straight away. The rear scandium frames can be welded up again pending where the fracture is..

Re:

Hi, does anyone know ne know where I can get a rear swing arm in Crome preferable for my FX G Zero? Or recommend anywhere that can maybe weld it, pref in North west? Mine has a hail line fracture on the anchor for the rear sus...

Back