PACE RC300 headtube repair. NOW FOR SALE !!!

velofrog

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
it must be the time of year for working on Pace frames!
after seeing 1210tech's post on the repair of his RC200 headtube, i thought i would post a few pics of my RC300 after its headtube repair!
this frame was cracked along the weld and on the back of the headtube. the crack was very small, and was the result of two welds heat damage area crossing one another. i'm sure there will be a few comments from the purists regarding the gussets, but it seemed the most logical long-term solution!
as can be seen i'm still working on the brake cable entry hole that the repair was welded around, but nothing that the dremel can't handle, and with a little shaping of the plastic cable insert it should fit fine.
my plan is to epoxy resin the cable entry/exit guides into the frame so they can be painted the same colour as the frame.
the original silver anodised finish was in pretty bad condition on close inspection, so whilst being repaired the frame was also vapour blasted. this has given the frame the perfect key for some paint, but as yet undecided on a colour!
the stem is a grey pace 130mm with 3DV answer hyperlite bars, so maybe some inspiration for a colour will come from them!
this is a work in progress, but will keep the thread updated once it's been painted and is ready for the build!

Re: PACE RC300 headtube repair

It's not pretty. But I think you are probably doing the best thing possible and keeping it alive.

yeah i know.
i was really torn about doing it.
wanted to keep it original, but it would just have cracked again in time,
thus ruining any paintwork done subsequently!
kinda hoping it will look a little better once painted, maybe....... :-(

dbmtb":zxxwwist said:
It's not pretty. But I think you are probably doing the best thing possible and keeping it alive.
I dunno, I think it looks ok, the welding is pretty neat too, once it's painted I don't think it will look out of place, and as said, at least it's not wall art ;) :cool:

a pace is a pace, repaired its still a bike, top job tbf and agree, it will look better painted but a darker colour would help hide the gusset a tad.

I don't think it's a bad job either.

It's either that, hang it on a wall or bin it! Once it's painted, I think it'll look pretty good.

and talking of paint......
it's off for paint tomorrow!!
I've stumbled upon a local guy who does awesome custom paint! airbrushing, candies, pearls and metal flake!! :cool:
I drop it off with him tomorrow afternoon, then it's a case of waiting patiently!!
it will indeed be a very unique looking rc300!
watch this space....... :D

Back