Marin Mount Vision with a twist...

Big_Al

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
I got my hands on a '98 Marin Mount Vision which had been upgraded in places to cable disc brakes and different cranks, and a more modern front fork in the shape of Marzocchi Bombers...

This got me thinking, I loved the Marin Mount Vision Pro's with all the XTR goodies on them, but I also loved the more modern bits updating the bike...

So what came next was an eclectic mix of older and newer parts to give my bike a more 'Mt V Pro' look but with a bit of a twist...

Not to everyone's taste I'm sure....but I love it and it's a dream to ride

XTR M975 hydraulic disc and shifter/brakes combo
XTR M950 front mech
XTR M962 rear mech
XTR M952 cranks
XTR M960 cassette
Easton carbon bars
Easton carbon seat post (not pictured - had an older seatpost in the pics with a more comfortable saddle ready for a longer ride)
Panaracer Smoke & Dart tyres
Sunringle MTX39 wheels
Thomson stem
Odi yeti grips
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Shoulda guessed by the username really! Haha! I'm only an inch shorter though, I'm clearly a long way off proper pedalling height on my bike lol!

Long legs as well AJ!

I had it set up at the correct height for pedalling as I was doing a 60 mile ride the day after...

Legs felt fine on the ride, but back was a bit sore hunched over!lol

Love it. I have a 1999 mount vision, full 9speed xt, hope hubs with modern avid hydrololic discs. A year ago I fitted fkox air forks and a fox rp 23 rear air shock. Wow bike was totaly transformed! The rp23 is the best upgrade ive ever fitted to any bike in 20 years. This bike rides fantastic and still draws loads of admiring looks and comments on thee trail. :D

Cheers Shaun - like the sound of the RP23!

I don't think the design of these Marins ages too badly at all and if you add some modern bits, you end up with a great bike....

Mine feels superb just now - love the extra stopping power & the XTR bits make the bike so light - great fun!

Yes I agree, its a well designed full susser, with not to many linkages and pivot points to worry about. I like the fact that it was designed by the ex formula 1 designer - WHYTE, he knew what he was doing. This design actually won the world xc championship in 1999, the first full sus to do so ever! Whats not to like. I always found on mine though that the rear end was a little too sensitive and soft for racing, but the rp23 changed the ride completely. I tend to have mine set to the firmest of the 3 settings, so that it takes the edge of the big hits, but still accelerates hard without bobbing on the smaller bumps. When the trail gets very bumpy and I need comfort, I simply reach down and flick the switch to the right on the shock to turn off the stiffening completely so it runs like a normal shock, then just flick it to the left again on the flatter bits for speed, simple but great fun. It gives that happy medium between afull sus and a hard tail race bike. They are expensive, but well worth every penny if one comes up for sale, you wont regret it! :p

Back