WHYTE PRST-4 finally built!!

velofrog

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
following on from my Whyte PRST-1 build and subsequent dismantling due to purchase of a PRST-4 frame, the 4 build is finally finished! i purchased the 4 on ebay, but unfortunately every bearing and bush was shot! after stripping and rebuilding with new bearings and bushes, and adding a few spangly bling bits, it is now finally ready to turn a wheel!! here are a few pics of said beastie! :)

as above. always wanted to try one as the ride is supposed to be fab. is that a refin` or just incredibly well looked after? what does it ride like? length of suss??

it's like a magic carpet ride, it just floats over everything, there is nothing else like PRST-1 or 4 when it comes to ride quality or handling once set up properly! :D the frame is totally original, but had been sadly neglected. i have replaced every single bearing and bushing on the suspension, and the frame took many hours of t-cut and polish to get it to how it looks now, but that's half the fun! my PRST-1 frame is for sale if you want to try one of these things out for yourself! ;)

it was the fact you having to replace all the bearings that made me think it had been refinished as it looks immaculate. i am sadly a one bike household so thanks for the offer. purely curiosity but what do they weigh just frame and fork?

frame, forks and both shocks weigh in just under 10lbs for the PRST-1 according to my scales!
the PRST's seem to have some what of a "marmite" following, either loved or loathed!
from my point of view that's a shame, as i have never ridden anything that can cover rough ground as effortlessly as a PRST can, and maybe being an older rider in his 40s makes that more important, but equally, there is nothing i have owned that can track like one either, the front end is so planted and so precise, it makes normal front forks seem like they are made of rubber! (slight exaggeration, but you get my drift!!)
you wouldn't win an XC race on one (well i wouldn't anyway!), but you sure can ride all day effortlessly on one!

yes marmite for sure. those that love em do so for the handling but those that dont are generally just going on the look of them. with that weight you could get a very light finished build.

yeah you could build one up silly light, but this one weighs in at 24lbs with a sensible build. i'm not the lightest rider :oops: so it needs to be resilient, but someone with the build of a racing whippet could prob shed a few pounds off that no problem!

one thing's for sure, i've not ridden anything that gets commented on like these things do!
stuff like, "that's amazing, what is it?" and "what the f**k is THAT!" lol

Back