Viper Scandium - Weight Weenie build

Fatal Swan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Right, it's time I started a thread for this project. I bought this Viper Scandium frame here a few weeks ago and am starting to build it up. I was a bit miffed when it arrived as it was a good 200g heavier than the seller stated, though it's obviously still pretty light at 1525g, which includes brake bosses and the headset cups (but not the bearings etc).

The plan is to go for a weight weenie build, but with suspension and a 3 x 9 drivetrain. Hoping to bring it in around 19.5lbs excluding pedals and I'm not far off with the parts I have. Colour theme is black finishing kit (wheels, seatpost, stem, bar) with red accents (bolts, clamp, skewers, spacers). Pictures of the bare frame included for starters, more details to come as the build proceeds.

Edit: This build has now been going on for a while with various weight-saving and upgrading tweaks. The current spec is:

Frame: Viper X.9 Scandium (2007), 1516g inc Titanium bosses & headset cups only (other headset parts 49g)
Forks: Manitou Mars C, 1347g inc star nut, plus M8 Titanium bosses 11g
Wheels: American Classic and Mavic X517, DT Swiss spokes. Front 659g & Rear 763g. Doubled strapping tape as rim tape 9g / wheel
Tyres: Kenda Klimax Lite 1.95 folding, 323g & 324g
Tubes: Schwalbe SV 14A XX-Light 104g & 112g (mfr stated weight 95g)
Chainset: Shimano Deore XT M752 (618g inc M10 fitting bolts), with 4 x red KCNC bolts (saves 5g)
BB: Shimano Deore XT ES71 Octalink 68x113, 248g
Chain: KMC X9-SL chain, 252g inc QuickLink)
Cassette: Shimano Dura Ace CS-7700 12-27 (replaced 14t ring with 11t), Token red lockring 172g
V-Brakes: Avid Mag V-brakes w/ XTR pad holders & Clarks pads. Replaced tension bolts with 4 red M3 alloy bolts, replaced brake shoe nuts/bolts with Titanium (142g and 142g)
Gear Levers: Shimano XTR SL-M970 Shifters, with 4 x red alloy M5 clamp bolts, 216g /pr
Brake Levers: AEST Mk II CNC brake levers, 70g pr
F/Mech: XTR FD-M950 with red M5 cable and clamp bolts & red M4 limit screws, 107g
R/Mech: Dura Ace RD-7800-GS with red M5 cable clamp bolt, 3 x red M4 adjuster screws, red alloy hanger bolt, 187g
Seatpost: Hylix Ultralight 3K Carbon Seatpost with Ti bolts, 27.2 x 410MM, 156g
Saddle: WTB Shadow V PSL Limited Edition saddle (2006) NiCro Tubular rails, 183g
Stem: Syntace F99 Stem 25.4 x 105mm 102g
Bar: Easton CT2 Carbon flat bar, cut to 555mm, 120g
Headset: Massi Integrated headset (weight included in frame weight)
Headset spacers: Ritchey conical spacer 15mm (11g), red alloy 5mm spacer (5g)
Stem cap & bolt: Kronos CNC alu stem cap in red (9g), Ti bolt (4g)
Grips: Ultra Light NPVC foam grips, 25g plus 2g plastic end caps
Skewers: J&L Titanium red allen skewers, 15g and 17g
Seat clamp: Woodman Death Grip SL Ti Seatpost Clamp, Red 31.8mm, Titanium bolt, 11g
Bottle Cage bolts: 4 x Probike alloy red bolts (4 x 1g)
Brake boss bolts: 4 x Probike alloy red bolts: 2 x long ones 6g/pr, 2 x short ones 3g/pr
Brake pipes & boots: 2 x Red alloy brake pipes, 5g each
Gear Inner cables: Rear 14g, front 9g
Gear outer cables: White SIS SP41 w/ 10 x KCNC red ferrules. Fr: 18cm (7g), 37cm (12g). Rear: 36cm (12g), 25cm (9g) & 30cm (10g)
Brake inner cables: Black Jagwire Ripcord black inner cables. Front 9g, Rear 17g
Brake outer cables: White Jagwire Ripcord. Rear: 98cm (38g); Front 30cm (13g)
Pedals: Xpedo Mag Ti M-Force 4, 229g

Current weight is approx 18.6lb

Attachments

• Viper4.jpg
    Viper4.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 4,406
  • Viper3.jpg
    Viper3.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 4,406
  • Viper2.jpg
    Viper2.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 4,405
  • Viper1.jpg
    Viper1.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 4,406
Re: Viper Scandium Weight Weenie build

Ah wondered who had bagged this ;)
Very nice looking frame and a little suprised at the weight also being scandium ???
Look forward to your version of the WW challenge as I'm finding out with my Carrera Zelos its a fun if rather addictive game.

Some of the weight weenie decisions have already been taken on this Viper Easton Elite build: viewtopic.php?t=188067. Lots of the parts are coming from that, but some more nice stuff is going to be added! I think it's going to be pretty good once complete.

What size is the frame? That sounds really heavy for a scandium frame. I've got a scandium Salsa and it comes in 300g lighter than that. And my old Klein Pulse frame is about 100g lighter.

Looks nice though and I'll be very impressed if you reach the target weight with suspension.

It's 16" c-c with 23" top tube.

I weighed it when it arrived (on more than one occasion!) at 1525g with headset cups and brake bosses installed - so presumably that would be about 1460g 'bare'. As pictured, it shows 1986g on the scales (set to 0 after adding the blue bowl). So minus the ES71 BB (248g), XTR brakes (178g), Hope clamp (19g), 2 brake boss bolts (7g) and 4 bottle cage bolts (6g) that makes more or less the 1525g that I weighed first time round. Unfortunately the weight the seller stated was estimated, and I was not especially impressed by that when it arrived.

Attachments

• Viper weight.jpg
    Viper weight.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 4,378

Couldn't resist uploading the first piece of cabling, courtesy of KCNC ferrules...

Attachments

• kcnc bling.jpg
    kcnc bling.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 4,335

Fatal Swan":2l9kmvo3 said:
Hoping to bring it in around 19.5lbs excluding pedals ......
He he. I fail to be impressed until you tell us what the pedals weigh :LOL: ;)

Regards

Well I'm not putting M505s on it... :) The Exustar PM25 SPDs I have are 276g/pr, or I might donate my Xpedo M-Force Mag/Ti SPDs from another bike, which are 229g/pr.

As I get closer to finishing I think the temptation is going to get quite strong to donate my Trigon carbon forks to this, which would get 19.5lbs down to 17.6 :) But that's not the point really, I want a sensible rideable FS bike out of this!

thats a lovely looking frame. look forward to finished pics and weight. you should go for tubeless too to drop more weight and less punctures. i used the stans yellow rim tape which doesnt really weigh anything and i found it performed better than the rubber strips.

Another photo update as I get more obsessed by cabling...

Attachments

• kcnc bling 2.jpg
    kcnc bling 2.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 4,272
Back