BoTY Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
To be built for me mrs :) ....

Backfromthedead_zpsb4083b3c.jpg

Explosif-frameandforks_zps884de7c2.jpg

Single-speed...as built by previous owner....

CelticTrail003100812_zps156b1025.jpg

Cheers :)
wad

Re: Tiny Kona Explosif :)

That's ace...was that the frame that was lovingly touched up by hand?

Small bikes look so much better than big ones...it's about the only benefit of being short!

What are you plans for spec!

Mindmap3":1k7ivttf said:
That's ace...was that the frame that was lovingly touched up by hand?

Small bikes look so much better than big ones...it's about the only benefit of being short!

What are you plans for spec!

Yes, that's the one :)

The fork will stay as is, the rest will be an LX based spec.

Mamadirts old frame right Martin? She did a great job on the paintwork. Looking forward to seeing it's next incarnation

Finally finished! :) - only had tubes/tyres to go on ;)

Spec:

Frame: 1998 Kona Explosif 13"

Fork: Rock Shox Indy C

Headset: FSA
Stem: Ritchey
Handlebar: Alloy riser
Grips: Yeti

Brakes: Avid 2.5
Brake Pads: new!
Brake Levers: Shimano M570 LX

Shifters: Shimano M570 LX
Front Derailleur: Shimano M570 LX
Rear Derailleur: Shimano M570 LX
Cassette: Shimano M760 Xt 9spd 12-34
Chain: KMC X9
Chainset: Shimano M570 LX
Bottom Bracket: Shimano M570 LX
Pedals: VP

Hub Skewers: Shimano
Rims: WTB Master
Hubs: Shimano M570 LX
Spokes: DB Stainless
Tyres: Conti Explorer (folding) Front + IRC Mythos K (folding) Rear
Tubes: yes

Saddle: Charge for ladies
Seatpost: Ritchey
Seatpost Binder: yes

Cheers

Weight: approx 24lb

Nice-looking bike there Martin. It's actually a 98 frame, not 99, so a slightly higher quality as it has Reynolds stays as opposed to the generic stays on the 99 frame.

Design-wise, I would expect it to have super-fast or twitchy handling, with the Indy and such a short stem. I would suggest a red 99 SID XC as a better alternative - a better fork and usefully longer to bring the handling back within normal bounds. Unless your wife likes super-twitchy handling of course!

Nice work Martin, I reckon your wife will hate it ;)

Anthony":2m7lb8fi said:
Nice-looking bike there Martin. It's actually a 98 frame, not 99, so a slightly higher quality as it has Reynolds stays as opposed to the generic stays on the 99 frame.

Design-wise, I would expect it to have super-fast or twitchy handling, with the Indy and such a short stem. I would suggest a red 99 SID XC as a better alternative - a better fork and usefully longer to bring the handling back within normal bounds. Unless your wife likes super-twitchy handling of course!

You're right!....should've realised having had one myself previously! :)

I've tried it (round the garden) - seems ok!...I'll have to let her try it, but I did have reservations like yourself!

It was intended to be a budget build, but the SID would be a good option. Maybe a longer stem would help anyway would you think?

Cheers

raidan73":1jhlcmy9 said:
Nice work Martin, I reckon your wife will hate it ;)

She might, we shall see!...she obviosly didn't like the Santa Cruz Juliana as it didn't get ridden ;) :LOL:

Looks great.

I do sometimes wonder about building bikes up for better half's. My other half has barely used her Chameleon, although that's not stopping me giving it a refresh at the moment!

Back