New build >> 2013 Pipedream Skookum

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So I'm swung.

For me 29er is where its at.

I like them they work and I don't think for big frames they look too gate'ish!

A couple of years back I had a Pipedream Sirius R853. I ran it SS alongside my Soul. Really enjoyed riding the bike but felt there was too much cross over between that the two so the Soul was kept and the Sirius sold.

Roll on a bit and I have a Solaris and a Fortitude. The Solaris is unashamedly built for all duties, much like my Soul was. The Fortitude gets ridden lots when the weather is poop (so all the time).

But I fancied a SS 29er.

The Skookum is what I settled on. sliding dropouts with the option to run a belt. I plan to try the "belt thang" when funds allow.

I had planned on going fully rigid but when the Lefty cropped up and a not too exorbitant price I fancied giving it a try.

The pics below show the bike in its current state, 95% complete.

It still needs cables, chain alignment and tensioning but I'm getting there.

Still need to work out bar height hence the spacers.

So pics .....

➡️ I think the grey looks great - almost Ti like (at a glance):

IMGP2935_zps1c33fc0f.jpg

➡️ Tapered HT made Left installation relatively straightforward by the chap that fitted it did say he could have done with 8 pairs of hands! Cheers Mike ;)

IMGP2945_zps6d706ee8.jpg

➡️ Neat dropouts with visible split "bit":

IMGP2942_zps8583636d.jpg

➡️ 853 DZB tubing. Not light but should be strong:

IMGP2940_zps063613cf.jpg

➡️ Leftytastic:

IMGP2938_zpsbf70e0c3.jpg

More pics to come once I get out on it :D

Re: What the hell is a Skookum .... New build.

Very nice, 29 for me too, 29 and single speed seems a perfect match

Very nice. :cool:
Not sure about the Lefty phenomenon, but then don't know much about them, but the bike, and the option for belt drive is very sweet. ;)

Done many miles on the tyres yet? Thoughts?

Thanks guys.

The Lefty choice is experimental!

The tyres. Not ridden this pair yet but have a fancier albeit black wall version on my Fortitude.

I suspect these are form over function. They look nice but are wire bead so I guess, although not weighed, they are a little heavy.

They do come up nice and big though.

Not normally my cup of tea, but that looks really nice.

The 29ers do seem to be getting better looking. I guess at some point I'm going to have to give one a go.

Think the Lefty looks ace.

Mindmap3":209yd8su said:
Think the Lefty looks ace.

Thank you. It was more through intrigue than anything else I decided on a Lefty for the build.

It was bit of a punt but several people I had chatted with that used them spoke highly of them.

I have now had the opportunity to ride the bike albeit not extensively.

I was a little skeptical in the car park test but ooot and aboot it was a hoot!

Its strange .... I was a lot less aware of the fork working than I usually am with my other forks. This I may add is a good thing.

Whilst aesthetically they may be like marmite there is no denying they are stiff but if honest a bit "look at me".

So there.

What a revelation. Man rides new fork and thinks its the best since his last new fork

Mark (enthralled in NSBS - New Shiny Bit Syndrome)

Spring has sprung the grass is rize I wonder where the Skookum is ....

With a rare opportunity to ride not only in day light but on dusty trails the bike was packed into the car and I headed off to the Forest :cool:

It's been a while since I have ridden SS. My last SS bike was sold on as I am the worst SSer in history so heading out on the Skkokum filled me with intrigue :LOL:

32x16 is about spot on for the flats around here.

The Lefty fork ate up the lumps and bumps. It really does feel like a rigid fork albeit one with travel :LOL:

I;ve changed the bar to a more conventional flat bar, lengthed the stem from 90mm to 100mm and reversed it so that its in negative rise mode.

The top clamp on the Lefty means the bars are slightly higher with a zero degree stem so running a minus 10 helps compensate. I also think it looks good too.

The frame isn't as stiff as my Solaris but thats no bad thing.

No plans to change anything else .... for a while :xmas-cool:

IMG_0492_zpsb7de88aa.jpg

IMG_0493_zpsbe0bba80.jpg

M

Re:

diggin out that thread :LOL:

Nice bike you have :cool:

I'm interested in a Pipedream also, because I like the idea behind it to have it geared, belted, SSP, Rohloffed,... as you like, but I'm a bit worried about the qualtiy of the frame, due that "splitted" frame.

Did you recon any rattles and noises the frame makes when riding or is anything just fine with it ?

cheers,
Martin :)

Back