Surly Krampus in the SW

ajantom

Retrobike Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Saw these reviewed, and as I had been thinking about dipping my toes in the 29er or fat world for a while the Krampus ticked both boxes.
I have no need for a full fat bike, but I like the idea of larger tyres at lower pressures and the larger wheel size for comfort. Round here with lots of grit and sand rigid bikes make a lot of sense maintenance wise!

I decided to order one from Charlie the Bikemonger, and was about to place an order when a deal came up on the horizon that wouldn't mean waiting until April.
So I bought this as a frame package last week. 2nd hand, but only ridden for a few miles....tbh it looks brand new.
Paid the same price as the frame/fork/tyres/rims deal, but included wheels built on Hope Pro II hubs/DT spokes, and a headset :cool:
Built up using mostly stock parts. I had to buy a cassette and chain, also bought a new short stem.

Took it up Haldon for it's first ride this morning. My usual riding buddies were impressed, and dare I say a bit jealous. Much car park testing and prodding ensued!
Now the ride.....I wasn't sure what to expect as I've never properly ridden a 29er.

First impressions were oodles of grip and a good climber. Felt really planted and fast on gravelled singletrack. Tyre pressure felt a little high so I let a couple of psi out.
Next up was a very rooty and sloppy trail, again unbelievable amounts of grip in the corners. I really tried to make it slide out, and it went on one corner, but immediately gripped again.
We took in a proper rutted downhill trail, which includes gravel shutes, 1-2ft dropoffs and a tabletop (one of the runs on the recent Haldon Enduro) Felt as fast down it as I do on my Dialled Alpine with 140mm forks on it.
The next trail was very muddy and slippy. It did here meet it's match, as the tyres just floated on top of the mud and couldn't find grip. My mate behind me said that it was odd as in some corners he'd see me lose grip and slide, but then I'd find grip and pull away. According to him he felt like he was on ice the whole way down on 2.3 tyres, and kept having to put his feet down.

The one comment that sticks is my friend who was riding a rigid 29er with 2.2 tyres and followed me into a downhill section. He said I took it at full speed and he had to really slow down, as he was getting bucked off, so I just pulled away. He also said that it was nice to follow me as my big tyres were emptying out the puddles, so when he came to them he didn't get as wet :LOL: To be honest the bike rides like it has 1-2" of suspension at each end and just seems to float over the little stuff. Big stuff can still be felt, but the big wheels and tyres just roll over everything.

What can I say, I am honestly smitten. Great bike :D

Before the ride - still nice and shiny:

Cool new stem ;)

Afterwards - a bit mucky!

They are cracking bikes, enjoyed leading the way through rough tracks and slippy roots and mud at the weekend with my mate riding my moonlander on bud and Lou 4.8" tires......it done everything the full fat did bar a step climb....the smaller knobblier tires were no match for the huge ones on the full fat.

I'm enjoying my krampus but need to use it more.....weather and work stopping me.

Great work, nice write up, good work emptying puddles too! really liking the fact that Surly put a seemingly now obvious 2+2 together again and put together a fun and useful cake and eat it bike. WANT!

Welcome to the world of 29+

They are amazing bikes with a whole new tyre/wheel platform, just can't wait for some other manufactures to take it on "cough" Jones...

Love mine to bits and can't wait to get back on it at the weekend :~)

...nice to see another "Thumbie" user and a Pauls keeper as well, just please find a prettier stem ;~)

I like the stem! Nice and short, and had a built in shim so it can run 25.4 or 31.8 bars.

Made some mudguards on the vacuum former. I discovered that standard crud guards are far too narrow and the big tyres spray around them. So made these prototypes that I'll test extensively over Easter. If thy work well I'll make some nicer looking/better finished ones out of black plastic.

You can get 29er crud guards now....

708F3B53-FB02-4993-9AC5-A7B8195B6DD4-5513-0000010F943F597C_zpsd8a5f67d.jpg

F945CE1C-A09B-4BA0-B5EB-DE8AF371DE1D-5513-0000010F858BE034_zpsb639a000.jpg

I refuse to buy crud guards on principle. Had issues with a rear one previously and they were less than helpful. So Mr Crud won't be seeing any of my money.

Recently modified and fitted some Maverick DUC32s to the Krampus.
Even more hooligan fun now!

And with my mates Karate Monkey for comparison....

Back