2012 Leon Bike prototype

renaldo

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This is my first new bike since 1998 :D I'd been thinking about trying a modern bike for a while and this fitted the bill for me - I like the story behind the company and as a steel hardtail but with modern design and geometry I thought it would be a good toe in the water. I expect most people won't be familiar with Leon Bike. Lots of info can be found on their website here, but in essence they were started by some key guys who left Sunn in 1999 with Max to form Commencal, and the Japanese distributor of Commencal bikes, which became the largest Commencal distributor. They parted from Commencal around 2003/4 when they felt the priorities of the company were changing to focus on quantity rather than quality. So to me this is a take on what a modern real Sunn might be like.

The frame is the final prototype made before production but differs only in some cosmetic finishing touches, like not having an embossed head tube badge, and is made from double butted Reynolds 631. It has lots of really nice features like repalceable / interchangeable dropouts and cable guides so you can run it singlespeed or multispeed, and with discs or v brakes. I don’t know a huge amount about modern pats so have played it a bit safe with the build, but hopefully all pretty good too.

Spec and pics:

Frame: 2012 Leon Bike prototype
Fork: 2013 Rock Shox Reba RLT

Headset: Campagnolo integrated
Stem: Thomson Elite X4 100mm 0deg
Bar: Easton EA70 Monkey Bar low rise
Grips: Lizard Skins Charger

Brakes: Shimano SLX M675
Brake Rotors: Shimano XT RT75 6 Bolt Rotors 160mm
Brake Pads: Shimano
Brake Cables: Shimano
Brake Levers: Shimano SLX M675

Shifters: Shimano SLX M670
Front Derailleur: Shimano SLX M671
Rear Derailleur: Shimano SLX M670
Derailleur Cables: Shimano SLX
Cassette: Shimano SLX 10 Spd 11-36
Chain: Shimano HG74 10 Spd
Cranks / Bottom Bracket: Shimano SLX M670
Pedals: Time ATAC XS / Wellgo MG-1
Hubs: Hope Pro Evo II
Rims: Mavic XC717
Spokes: DT Competition
Hub Skewers: Hope
Tyres: Schwalbe Nobby Nic / Racing Ralph / Bontrager Mud X
Saddle: Fizik Gobi XM Kium
Seatpost: Thomson Elite layback

Weight: 24.9lbs / 11.3kg

IMG_0749-1.jpg

IMG_6330.jpg

IMG_3034.jpg

IMG_3035.jpg

IMG_3037.jpg

IMG_3039.jpg

And with stickers
IMG_3181_zpsdb3aedf5.jpg

IMG_3182_zpsc8ced34e.jpg

IMG_3185_zpsf912d6df.jpg

IMG_3183_zps12b8e5de.jpg

IMG_3184_zps3bcc4cf6.jpg

Wow !!! That is one sweet looking stealth machine... Very nice choice of components they blend in nicely..

Love the cable holders too :cool:

that's lovely, it has a very modern look but you can tell it has Sunn heritage in there!

Love it!

novekili":2x8i4t01 said:
lovely, just a question. Why not 853?

I think some of the earlier prototypes were, but they ended up with 631 for the balance of strength, stiffness, weight, durability, comfort etc. Its a bit of a "one bike for everything" idea I think.

Plus one":2ehdlbbb said:
Wow !!! That is one sweet looking stealth machine... Very nice choice of components they blend in nicely..

Love the cable holders too :cool:

Cheers :) I must admit I did think the SLX group would look good on the bike, as well as being more than good enough functionally, plus I think the black wheels are very cool :cool:

xxejen":3hdu5grv said:
hi,

very nice.

where did you find it ?
and how much it cost ?

I bought it directly from a guy involved in the company. It was a lot less than one of their brand new frames as it has been well used! I can pass you contact details of someone at Leon in Japan if you want to know more.

Back