1999 Kona Explosif "Dynamite"

Plus one

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
It's 1999 I'm in alpine bikes(Edinburgh) I want a kona they have deals on it's September .. I'm looking through the catalogue the one that jumps out is the Explosif.. It's steel/gorgeous colour but I'm also keen on an alloy kona as they're all the rage :roll:

The Explosif is down from £1249-£999 a bargain but not quite got the funds :( Left with a nu nu :(

But I loved it and it was in my possession right up till 2 years ago when I donated the frame to bike station along with some other bits..

Here's me winter 99 on the nu nu :)

Untitled by Plus one2010, on Flickr

I've always said I would have me a 99 Explosif but lost a few years in the full suspension fold.. Anyway have seen few pics of the 99 on here and seeing pics of ernie's minter on his king kahuna thread tipped me over the edge I was getting one :cool:

After badgering ernie and few kona fetishists on here hoping someone had one stashed or prepared to sell I came away empty handed :(

Whilst searching the web I came across a year old advert on a large cycling forum without any reply I figured an email couldn't do any harm.. Yes he still had it !!! Deal was struck and here she is..

Not having funds/space to do a full rebuild I am using most of the parts off my 95 kula.. So frame may be up for sale(kula) or not :facepalm:

To be continued :)

Re: Got me a dynamite kona !!

Looks great, I love the simplicity of the older Kona hardtails...they just look so right.

konaben82":pqu78f6v said:
Cheers konaben I'm really exited to build and ride 853 for the first time :)

Mindmap3":pqu78f6v said:
Looks great, I love the simplicity of the older Kona hardtails...they just look so right.

Yes it's cost me a few quid that simplicity !!! ;)

Damn! You got yourself a beauty there bud, I love it!! :D

Reminds me how much I still want one!!! :mrgreen: ...had to go dig out my wanted post and give it a bump

Canuck":3bgze265 said:
Damn! You got yourself a beauty there bud, I love it!! :D

Reminds me how much I still want one!!! :mrgreen: ...had to go dig out my wanted post and give it a bump

Cheers Scott .. Don't worry your not looking alone I'm looking for you too ;)

That is a great looking frame and fork combo. Look forward to seeing it built up

Wee bit of progress.. Headset cups pressed in and fork plugged in to see how it looks .. Looks a good match to me :)

The magnesium arch looks really dull/dirty but autosol/scotchbrite not even touching the surface :(

Is this a magnesium thing ? Anyway to clean it ?

Back