Pipedream SS now 1x8 commuter....

gbmoto

Retro Guru
Had this Pipedream for a few years now.

It was my main bike running 3 x 9, BB7's and a Rockshox Duke, did a lot of miles.

Then tried full suspension with an S Works enduro so it was left for winter work, I could not bond with full suspension so transferred all the running gear over to a Ragley frame, which I still love. This left the (by now) very rusty Pipedream without a purpose, the Ragley did everything I wanted plus with longer forks.

Was thinking of selling the frame but thought I had best investigate the corrosion first, apart from the cable guides rotting away all was OK. TBH I was a bit disappointing as I do keep my bikes clean, even though it had been used through 2 winters.

Anyway removed the guides, stripped to bear metal, rattlecan spray job and I had a single speed with a couple of those stick on cable guides.

Used a Superstar tensioner and all was good, but it didn't get used much and I gradually stripped it for parts, at one stage I was thinking of skipping it.

Then I happened upon the New Sirius with sliding dropouts, this was about the time everything goes swamplike around here and when I start yearning for an SS.

I'm in the middle of a Trials Motorbike restoration so a new frame was out of the question so I dug out the old frame.

Due to the weather I have been doing a lot of miles on the road using a Giant Hybrid framed bike, all alloy and rides very nice, especially the fork. I then see a similar fork on Ebay so buy that for the Pipedream.

The rest were parts I already had except for the 185mm disk adapter, this is not due the the startling speed I will attain ( quiet the opposite! ) but due to the pipe routing on the fork and my lazyness in changing the pipe end.

First ride was awfull with loads of chain skipping and a puncture, tried the tensioner in up and down tensioning but made no difference so tried another chain from the garage floor ( a sad indictment of my workshop practices ) shortened it to the same length as the original ( physically, but one link less ) and put it on, much to my surprise I had found the magic ratio! No tensioner needed, the ratio is 17/32 by the way, I usually do the classic 16/32 but the tyres are pretty big and I'm getting older.

Trouble is I don't know how much I have used this chain, will it suddenly go slack? Will a new one with the same number of links be OK? Going to carry the tensioner with me for the first few rides, just in case.

Went out yesterday, the rigid forks and big tyres ( converted to tubeless ) work well together and the chain was fine, it was good to be off road again, even if it was pretty easy stuff.

It rode sufficiently well that I may well get the frame powdercoated in the summer ( If we have one ) The current rattlecan job is looking pretty tatty, I used up some leftovers, hence the Kona like 2 tone fade, anyway here's some pics.

zzebayjan_2888_zps47a1acea.jpg

ebayjan_2880_zps48355929.jpg

ebayjan_2886_zpscc9aa3b5.jpg

Re: Pipedream SS

Nice!

I've been quite lucky with magic gears too. In my limited experience a pre-stretched chain will still stretch a bit but not too much so the chain jumps off. I ride 42-16 on my bike and a stretched chain usually lasts me around 600 or so miles before it goes slack to the point of being un-rideable.

My system works pretty well. I use a chain for X amount of miles on my SS road bike with track drop-outs and then switch it to the MTB once it's stretched some. I typically use KMC 1/8th inch SS chains that are cheap on CRC. With the extra links that aren't needed I can make a new chain after a few chain changes.

Hope that makes sense :D

Ta for the comments, looks like I may have lucked in with a slightly prestretched chain!

OK one of my other drains on my resources..........

mont_2080_zpsb64243c2.jpg

Although currently the frame is away being blasted and painted, it's a 1984 Montesa 349.... my era!

This was a quick tidy up for one event just to make sure all was good before stripping and rebuild.

And this is my other one, also totally stripped and rebuilt, to be honest this one is too much for me now and once the Montesa is back together the Beta will go.

The frame is made by Verlichi so there is a bicycle link there too!

521fceb6.jpg

Hopefully to be replaced by another twinshock trials bike!!!!!!

Interesting thing with the Beta, it has smaller diameter disks than my mountain bikes, and how about a 4 pot caliper on the back and 2 pot on the front!

As it left the factory but a little illogical.

It is just as bad a disease as old Mountain Bikes!!

So many toys.........so little time..........

The Pipedream became my preferred ride through the summer so thought I had better get the frame sorted before all my rattlecan paint disappeared!

Had some real dilemmas over colour but in the end went safe with white.

So off to the the local industrial powder coaters, whilst it was away bought some blingy red bits and a Pipedream Fork, this actually was in white and one of the deciding factors for colour.

The Specialized tyres really work well in the dry but are terrible in mud so put on the old Nokian's from the Ragley (which now has Geax), they have inflated tubeless OK but not sure if they work, don't' really feel right, short ride around the block was OK, but we will see.

The forks are longer than the Giant's but with the removal of some HS spacers the bars are not a lot higher.

Have also added some ergonomic grips (old man grips as the darling family call them!) I have these on my road bike and like the varied positions and I am a confirmed bar end user I'm afraid.

A set of the new style stickers from Pipedream work well with the white.

Anyway, here it is.

london_5252_zpsf25a091c.jpg
[/URL]

london_5249_zps98eca31d.jpg
[/URL]

Many thanks for the comments, I did wonder if tarting it up would take away some of my enthusiasm for the bike, but thankfully no!

A very wet and muddy ride on Saturday was a perfect bedding in, and exactly why I like an SS in the winter.

Pic before the mud/heavy rain, later there was no way I was getting my phone out!

IMAG0092_BURST002_stitch_zps60d81030.jpg
[/URL]

The Pipedream forks are excellent and the tyres held up well in their new tubeless life.

Re:

Work is a bit wierd at the mo :)

Have a company car but they won't now pay for parking at the office, since I am not enthused with paying £9 a day it's back to bike commuting!

Did it for the first 10 years or so at work....looks like I will now be doing it for the last few years :-(

Actually quiet enjoying it but the roads are way busier at commuter time now...and much rougher!

So now having moved to 29ers I had a bit of a 26er stock of bits so built this up...probably a bit of overkill but the only bits i bought were the tyres from on here ( started with off road tyres )

Rack is held on with "p" clips but is quite secure, seemed quite skittish after the 29ers but does the job.

I may be swopping the gears around as the short cage XT mech will just not shift across 8 gears, I have a close cassette with stx shifter but can only get it to work on the top 7 or bottom 7...... very odd.

Will eventually file down some chainring bolts to lose the inner ring.

Back