1999 Ground Control FSR Sport Build

GlenPxC

Dirt Disciple
Been lurking on here for a while and finally decided it's time to start a build thread. Now, keep in mind I'm currently a college student in my last semester so funds are a little short.
When I bought the frame and went to look up the model I couldn't find any GC FSR that had the yellow S like mine did until I stumbled upon the "sport" model. When I bought it I was upset that the original decals were
missing, but after seeing the original color scheme, not so much. Anyways on to the build, it's no max backbone, but it's sure as hell fun to ride!

9387131665_4bab284da7_c.jpg

8725863547_8b77081456_c.jpg

Curret Build State:
1999 Ground Control FSR Sport frame
2006 Fox Float 130mm R fork
Rock Shox Deluxe rear shock
Avid BB7 disc brakes with tektro levers
Shimano SLX Shadow rear shifter and derailleur
Shimano alvio front shifter and derailleur
Sram X5 GXP crank and BB
BBG bash guard
Deore XT 9 speed cassette and chain
Sun Single track disc rims with deore XT hubs
Panaracer fire pro xc 2.1 tires
Specialized Mobius stem
WTB Headset
Specialized phenom saddle
Shimano m520 clipless pedals
DIY chain guide

How it looked when I picked it up, pretty rough shape, but hey I got it for $35!

Cleaned it up and swapped over some parts from my hardtail.

Found an a2z adapter and with a simple modification it works really well.

Got an appropriately sized seat post and made some decals.

Biggest upgrade, fox float 130mm r fork. Monumental difference compared with the crappy manitou comp 80mm coil I was using

After dealing with problem after problem with the gears and chain I decided it was time to start the upgrading the drivetrain.
First I got a 9 speed XT cassette and chain, as well as a shimano SLX shadow rear derailleur and shifter.
Also swapped the shorter stem back over.

And my most recent upgrade which I just finished today was the last piece of the drivetrain.
Put on a new sram X5 GXP crankset and BB. Also replaced the 44t with a BBG bash guard. Found out while replacing this that not only did the old cartridge BB feel like it had rocks in it,
but that the crank arms weren't even from the same set. Even worse, they weren't even the same length! One was 170mm, and one was 175mm.
Now the bike shifts smooth and I haven't dropped a chain since.
8466198223_9405a17a74_b.jpg

A great example of bringing one of the classic full sussers back to life on a budget, nice one mate. The only thing that bothers me though is the downward angle of that saddle :shock: All the same, great bike and thanks for sharing ;)

Thanks :D Yeah now that you mention it the seat does look a bit silly. Just went and adjusted it, does feel much better now, thanks for the tip!

The previous owner must have had a club foot! Bash guard looks good too mate, definitely the way to go for these old war horses. Big ring is definitely for decoration purposes on mine, that's for sure.

Completely took apart the linkage today and overhauled the pivot points. Made my own $2 press and it worked phenomenally. Cleaned everything and greased the moving parts.

They were really dirty!

The results came out great. There was a ton of stiction before, enough to where I needed two hands and some decent force to move the links. Now the compression is smooth, not as good as bearings, but a million times better than how it was.

Decided to go clipless! Only fell once from it, which was when I was climbing a steep hill and was concentrating way to hard on the ability to put my foot down. Any time I had to take a foot off and wasn't thinking it was just natural :)

Lookin' nice mate! It should be noted too that the BETD linkage comes in black and the "sharkfin" is black too, for extra stealth. Suppose it beats the point of a budget build if the linkage is 3 times the cost of the bike though!

Nice work ... No matter how tight funds are priority is to upgrade/improve your bike !!! Always money well spent in my book :cool:

Haha yeah I've been putting off upgrading the rear shock until I can find a BETD link cheapish somewhere, but that is very rare. Almost as rare as finding that shark fin! The a2z is working great with how I have it rigged, but it is a bit of a hassle when I have to take the rear wheel off.

Hopefully the problem with funds will end after I graduate this may :)

Back