2003 Orange Sub 5

twellsie

Old School Hero
Have recently got back into bikes since buying a 2011 Rockhopper on the cycle to work scheme, I felt I wanted something that would soak up the bumps better so diced to build an orange five

Picked up this frame off pinkbike

image_zpsa04fba5c.jpg

Paint was a bit tatty, but the frame was straight and dent free, so off it went to be powder coated

image_zpsee3ef9da.jpg

Next up was to order a set of new decals and bearings from Orange

image_zps882cb31b.jpg

The initial idea was to build it to a fairly basic spec, using bits that I already had, but after riding my mates Alpine 160 ( the blue one in the pic above) I decided to go with an up to date spec,

Starting with;

XTR shadow+ rear mech
36-26 XT chain set
Crank bros SL headset
XT front mech
Hope seat clamp
Race face seat post
Superstar pedals
And a charge spoon saddle

image_zpsec9e88dd.jpg

Next on the shopping list was some forks, bars and stem

The bars are Answer Pro Taper 780's with the funky custom chaos colour scheme and the stem is a Race Face one that matches the seatpost.

image_zpsf4254d1e.jpg

The forks are some Fox 32s with 140mm of travel, which after trial fitting I decided that I didn't like the grey, so they where stripped down, a new set of seals, decals and oils were ordered

image_zps57d22d77.jpg

The uppers and lowers were then sent to mate to be painted
image_zpsf1c45406.jpg

Forks all assembled and on its wheels

image_zpsb79a791f.jpg

Next up was a
11-34 XT cassette
XTR 10 speed chain
SLX M675 brakes
SLX I spec shifters

image_zps889be318.jpg

image_zpsb27550cf.jpg

Which brings us pretty much up to date

Big thanks to my mate Jay for helping with the build!!

Two weeks ago at Llandegla

image_zps65108524.jpg

Love this!!! Im thinking along the lines of something similar as Im starting to do a few more XC rides!

Good job...and a good choice of bars, I absolutely love them and have them on both of my mountain bikes. The shape is just perfect I reckon.

Forks have Coe up well. We're they done with wet paint? I'm thinking about having my 36's painted as they're looking a bit tatty now.

Back