On One Scandal 29er (rigid)

Keewee

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Ok so I've not posted anything other than "help I need" or "I've got a few bits I don't need" so please bare with me :?
I managed to get my jaw dislocated at work back in July (the morning after the Strathpuffer 12hr) and as a result of the injury to my neck I ended up with a fairly useless left hand. This meant I went from about 100 miles a week; combined commute & in woods to zero overnight!!!! :shock: so after more scans, physio and manipulation than I care to waste my breath about, I decided in the hope of restoring some sanity I would slowly build a rigid 29er for when I was able?!?!? I decided that this years puffer was the goal. :D
Off I set with no real budget put aside I figured I would see how cheaply I could do it, I have a bit of a thing for finding a bargain so it kinda became a bit of a challenge. Over the next few months I managed to pick up pretty much everything I needed with everything being a minimum of 50% and most of it being about 75% off. I pretty much just went for the best bits could find with the greatest discount, sure most of it is a few seasons old and is more or less the work horse of their given range but that all fits in with the rest of my bikes!!!! Even up till xmas I was still undecided as to which frame to go for but an on one discount weekend and a wee bit of store credit saw me pick up a Scandal for £135!!! my wife and mother were happy to accept fairly detailed Christmas & birthday lists and with that I pretty much had everythin i needed. A half decent wheelset was proving difficult to find so I opted for some heavily discounted Ringle hubs and WTB laser disc rims and figured that surely wheelbuilding is like riding a proverbial bike and that my 15 years away from the black art wouldnt be an issue?!?!?!?!?!
Anyway at the end of Jan I woke up on my bithday to a bike shaped jigsaw puzzle!! Woo hoo let the build begin!!!!!
We have a 7week old son so most of it has been done on the night shift while he convinced me that sleep was a total waste of his existence :roll: I opted for a job a night; night one: frame, fork and cockpit assembly, night two: braking, night three & four: wheelbuilding, night five: drivetrain, night six: setup, tune and just be generally chuffed with myself!!! :D all in im very happy with it!! it's not done anything other than pedal round the street so far but an ever progressing hand means It won't be too long before its covered in the brown stuff!!!! ;)
Oh and just as a point of interest the final count including what was spent on gifts comes in at £630 give or take a few pounds which I'm more than happy with!!!
Cheers
Cary

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 610
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 610
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 610
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 610
That looks like a great build, amazing what can be done on a budget if you put your mind to it.

Hope your health is improving and you can enjoy your new ride even more so soon.

Good effort, most of my bikes are built up with second hand stuff or bits bought in the sale.

Glad to hear that you're on the mend, must have been quite worrying.

Cheers for the comments guys, yea the hand/neck has been very concerning and had a massive impact on life in general. Feel like I'm coming out the other side now and can't wait to get peddling again, the Scandal is the first "new" bike I've ever owned so really can't wait to see how I get on with it!

Hey great story, not the bad bits obv, the fact you put your mind to something creative and exciting. A 29er has to be the next thing I build, god knows when, but you've proved something that I've been wondering and yes you can spec one up for reasonable money. Well done. Yes this years sales were killer. Had to hold back on the on one frame discount day argh, but you picked up a corker there. Love the exploded parts pic. Let us know how you get on...

Just noticed that you've got a Ringle Disc Jockey hub...what do you reckon to it? I ordered one from CRC as part of a wheel build because they were so cheap, but ended up cancellingthe order because they were taking too long.

Hey Mindmap
I managed to get disc Jockey's front and rear, the quality is very good. Bearings are buttery smooth!! On a couple of occasions while building the wheels I would spin the wheel then go get a drink from the kitchen and when I got back I could swear they were still spinning as fast!!
Alloy freehub on the rear so really requires a cassette with alloy spider and although the CRC reviews say they click like a Hope I would say they are more like a white industries eno freewheel "weeeeeeeeeeeee". Very happy with them, no QR's thou.

Back