My sons first bike

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
a balance bike. picked it up cheap enough for me to consider giving it a customization. nothing flashy, as it's not a keeper really.

IMG-20121209-00985.jpg

i'm a little obsessed with Specialized's Gulf colour scheme (as seen on the 2000 Stumpjumper)

saw a wooden balance bike with the same type of colours and was inspired:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=68155

have stripped it, cleaned it an greased all the necessary bits.

IMG-20121209-00986.jpg

first thing is to replace the horrid plastic brake lever with something a little more substantial.

then some nice foam grips (black).

i'm thinking a simple rattle can job for the blue and then some vinyl stickers for the orange stripes.

whats the best way to match the 'Specialized blue' without having it to reference from? is there a colour code?

apologies for the shocking pics, waiting for christmas to roll on so i can get my new camera :p

I'm just about to embark on similar project for our Son's first bike :cool: :cool:

I was thinking Magura rim brake as they are a doddle to use, just need to see if i can get the lever close enough to the bar.

Where did you get yours from?

got this from some sort of second hand baby and toddler type sale. something like NTC(?) can't remember the name. its held down the road from us every week or fortnight and its a jumble sale for childrens bits and bobs.

the brake on it is good enough as it is probably, but i'm just looking for a cheap project to keep me from spending muchos dollar on my other bikes! :p

on the hunt for some bits already.
cant wait until he can start pedalling - then i can go all out on the drive chain! :p

i was looking for the wooden type balance bikes, but after getting this, i'm not so sure on the parts availability or swappability on them as the wheels dont seem standard sizes etc.

what you got in mind for yours?

Nice little bike, love the orange mags - remind me very much of the Aero Zytec ones I had on my BMX a million years ago !
A bit cruel to have your son start his training on the kitchen worktops though but suppose he'll make a great stunt rider sooner rather than later that way - right son it's ring of fire now , just lighting the gas burners ! ;)

letmetalktomark said:
I was thinking Magura rim brake as they are a doddle to use, just need to see if i can get the lever close enough to the bar./quote]

Exactly what I thought when I first saw the frame.

letmetalktomark said:
I was thinking Magura rim brake as they are a doddle to use, just need to see if i can get the lever close enough to the bar./quote]

letmetalktomark said:

i do have a question about the handlebars....would these be replaceable with quil stem and bars?
the internal diameter of the fork steerer is 1" but it has a cut in it to allow the clamp to bite on the bar stem....:?: :?:

Back