2009 Giant XTC 2 -> Now a 2009 Specialized FSR XC Elite!

EarlofBarnet

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
This will be my third Giant XTC in the last few years. Both were great bikes, so I had no hesitation in buying another. I picked this bike up off eBay for a fair price, I'd have struggled to build up one for the same price. I had looked at the 2013 range and buying new, but for the money you really can't beat used bikes for value for money.

2009 Giant XTC 2

IMG_2742_zps5a0a44bd.jpg

IMG_2743_zps45ca49fa.jpg

I've had to order a new bottom bracket, as the one fitted has a lot of play in it. I'm hoping the seller will pay for this as it wasn't mentioned in the advert. I've also ordered a new saddle, as the one that was fitted was horrible.

Spec:
Frame: 2009 Giant XTC 2 Butted Aluminium
Forks: Rock Shox Recon SL Solo Air - 100mm travel with remote lock-out
Shifters: Shimano SLX 9sp
F.Mech: Shimano Deore
R.Mech: Shimano XT Shadow
Brakes: Avid Juicy 3
Wheels: Shimano Deore / Mavic XM117
Bars/Seatpost/Stem: Giant

New saddle:

90675-7_zps63b375d5.jpg

I covered minimal miles on a MTB in 2012, mainly due to spending time running and on the road bike. However, I have missed being off-road and I'm hoping this will get me back in to things.

I'd definitely recommend one. Good value for money. Very 'XC', but nothing wrong with that.

Took this out on a night ride on Tuesday and got it filthy. Rode really well, but the saddle is far from comfortable, haha.

Swopped the bars out to some White flat bars I had left over from a '10 Stumpjumper HT I had. This has given more width, less weight and the colour goes great too. Also ditched the headset spacers in favour of some carbon ones.

Bar swop update pics:

IMG_2778_zps07b82d77.jpg

Also replaced the jockey wheels and the chain. The previous owner had left one of the mech bolts slightly loose, which prematurely wore the jockey wheels. I've replaced them with Deore ones rather than XT ones, due to the price. Chain is a KMC one with quick link.

Small update. The Juicy Three's will be sold soon as I have some Elixir's on their way. I've changed the Deore front mech for an XT model. I'm also looking for some nicer wheels, to see if I can drop a little weight from the bike.

Brakes now changed to Elixir 3's (White)and wheels changed to Hope/Mavic XC717 (all Black). Bike looks just how I want it now, really please.

Popped it on the scales and it's sitting at 27lbs, a little heavier than I expected. May look to shed some weight from it soon. Would love a pair of White SID's for it, but suspect it'll be too expensive a change for me. Maybe a nicer (and lighter) seatpost too.

Re: 2009 Giant XTC 2

Small change. I've just picked up a 2009 Specialized FSR XC frame, on to which I've transferred the parts from the XTC. Luckily everything went straight across! Only other change was the forks. The frame gives 120mm of travel, so my Recon SL's didn't have enough travel. I have picked up some Recon 335's, which are solo air like my other Recon's, but give 130mm of travel. Bonus is that they have an alloy steerer tube too, whereas my original's didn't.

The FSR has come with some nice bits too. A Red Hope headset, a Red Hope seatpost clamp, a Red Hope bottom bracket and some Red anodised bolts for the cable guides. The original shock has been upgraded to a TF Tuned Fox air shock too.

Pics to follow tomorrow!

Back