Another 'dale Gemini

jimmylad

Retro Guru
Hola!

Having moved in to a new location again (the lakes this time) and being so very close to real mountains now I needed a new bike and so when I saw this I thought why not.

Originally I wanted to bring my Raleigh DHO with me but in all honesty am to scared of either damaging it or more to the point some thieving scum bag trying to nick it so unfortunately that will be spending the foreseeable part of its and my life in safe storage and brought out hopefully once a year (hopefully!).

Now I used to own a Gemini around 2003/06 till I killed it. The plan so far is to build it to what I originally I had however that will not happen due to the cost and finding parts in working order. However none the less the idea will be there.

The original Gemini when I got her in 2003...

p4pb205779.jpg

After a season in france and plenty of use she ended up looking like this....

p4pb8878179.jpg

Here the forks had been changed, cranks, a chain device and stem to keep her going.

In the end I snapped the shock, and cracked the rear swingarm in many places. I sold the frame then to a chap for around £30 ( I was on medication at the time and couldnt control my actions) and I still regret doing that. Anyways a pic of some of the frame damage...

p4pb1914658.jpg

p4pb1914661.jpg

Now this is my new to frame....

p4pb8865523.jpg

Really can not wait to get her built as I think she'll make a great trail bike that can take the hits. Hopefully she'll be built within a few weeks.

Safe trails

J

Both look nice, that new one looks in great nick. I really like these although they never seemed all that popular from some reason despite the Prophet being hugely popular.

What are your plans for the build?

Cheers bud.

Indeed these where cracking bikes and still are. When I was on form I could keep up with the lads on multi linkage jobs in the alps with it so single pivots to work. They did have a bad reputation of the rear swing arm cracking but am hoping they addressed that with these 'stronger' frames!?

At the moment am just looking for parts so no idea what the build will be. May have to strip the odd bike down to build her up which I'd rather not do but I cant afford at the moment to go buy new stuff. I have been offered some custom built nixon forks that came from the cannondale team (they have different inners am told) but not sure, would love some super t forks again but they are rare! with regards to wheels it would be nice to have some d321 rims but I'll just have to see what I can raid of my other bikes :D

I'd get something meatier than Nixons for that.

The 66's looked good and are relatively cheap these days and are easy to service; mine took no time at all to strip down, clean, refill with oil. A fair few of these have Shermans on the front, but the SPV ones are evil.

Back